VMware Cloud Community
Yarp
Contributor
Contributor

Question about moving ESXi host and iSCSI LUNs to a different network.

We have a single ESXi 5.5U2 host and a pair of Synology NAS boxes set up as iSCSI LUNs and connected as datastores to the ESXi host. We'll be moving all of that to a new office that has a different IP scheme. My current plan is:

1 - Power off VMs, put host in maintenance mode and power it off.

2 - Change Synologys from Static IP to DHCP and power them off.

3 - In new office space power on Synologys and switch them from DHCP to static IP using the IP scheme of the new office

4 - Power on the ESXi hypervisor and change the IP to use the IP scheme of the new office.

5 - Log in to Vsphere Client and under properties of the iSCSI software adapter remove the old iSCSI server location IPs from Dynamic Discovery tab and add new ones.

Am I missing anything here or are there any potential problems I may run in to with the above plan? Will anything additional be required for the hypervisor to properly see the datastores after all those changes?

Thank you in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Because you are changing the IP address of the iSCSI target, it could be possible that the ESXi host will see the LUNs as new datastores. Each datastore will get a unique UUID upon creation but because this UUID is already configured you will get the question if you want to resignature the datastore. In my opion you don't need to resignature the datastore because it's the same LUN. You VM's will be available after this.

For more information about datastore resignature, take a look at this; Managing Duplicate VMFS Datastores

0 Kudos