6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2017 5:27 PM by Mikero

REST interface needs authentication

wila Guru
    vExpertCommunity WarriorsUser Moderators

Hi,

Congrats on the release, installed and testing! Exciting indeed.

As the subject says, I think the REST interface should require authentication and yes I read:

API Considerations

This feature is experimental and should not be used in production systems. In addition, there are several specific noteworthy deployment considerations:

• The vmrest service will run as the user who started it. sudo vmrest would make the root user run the service, for example.
      • The service does not provide authentication. Access to the network path where the API resides should be restricted if security is a concern at this time.
      • HTTP requests are not encrypted.

Telling the user to firewall his machine sadly isn't sufficient.

Let me tell you what I did.

I created a new VM, played with it. Worked great, looks cool in the new GUI.

Then started the rest interface via ./vmrest and pointed a browser to my test host from another machine in the network.

Listing VMs? Works great too.

Hmm.. what's that? Deleting VMs?

First time I tried it told me the VM was locked, but on the second time it was a success.

So that means one can remotely delete VMs!

Let that sink in for a while.

You install a tool that enables the REST interface on your behalf. Most people won't know that it was started and not all tools written have security in mind.

Then a malicious actor scans your network, finds the standard port, points a browser to it and lists your VMs.

While that is scary already.

There's NO additional credentials required to delete a VM!

OK for a beta, but please PLEASE add some extra authentication requirement before final release.

-

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Desktop Products
      | Vimalin : Automated backups for VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation Professional
      | More info at https://www.vimalin.com
      | Twitter @wilva
      | VMware Wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com