VMware Communities
DragooonGarg
Contributor
Contributor

Any OpenGL program crashes in BootCamp on MacBook Pro 2017 (with Radeon Pro 560)

Regardless of what program I use (even OpenGL Extension Viewer), it crashes when running BootCamp in a VM. It is fixed when I uninstall the AMD drivers so I am assuming something is conflicting between the AMD drivers and VMWare, but I don't know how to fix that. I'm running Windows 10 Pro on a MacBook Pro 15" 2017 and a Radeon Pro 560, it is a fresh Windows 10 installation with updates applied.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi DragooonGarg,

When you run Windows 10 in BootCamp directly, you are actually running on the native graphic card -- AMD Radeon Pro 560 with AMD drivers.

When you run Windows 10 in BootCamp VM, you are actually running on the virtual graphic card -- VMware SVGA3D with VMware drivers (VMware Tools).

So there could be conflict if you are running BootCamp VM with AMD drivers coexisted.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Did you install VMware Tools in the VM? Like Rick said it has the appropriate virtual hardware drivers, and also handles the loading of the appropriate drivers based on if it's BootCamp natively or in a VM.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
DragooonGarg
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I did install VMWare Tools. And they are conflicting with the AMD drivers because when I uninstall AMD drivers, the OpenGL programs do work (like I stated in my original post).

0 Kudos
DragooonGarg
Contributor
Contributor

I agree that there is a conflict, because when I uninstall the AMD drivers it doesn't crash (at least on the extensions viewer). I was hoping if there would be a solution possible which doesn't involve me uninstalling the drivers.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

You shouldn't have to uninstall the drivers. Have you filed a support ticket? There might be a bug here we need to investigate.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
DragooonGarg
Contributor
Contributor

I had not created a support request, but I just created one. Hopefully it helps, thank you!

0 Kudos
JackSeraph
Contributor
Contributor

Could you take a look that if you had installed Vulkan Runtime Libraries?

We have also encountered such the issue and I can start OpenGL Ex View successfully after uninstall the VulkanRT Lib.

Thanks,

Jack

0 Kudos