VMware Cloud Community
accjim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converter is causing issues with Windows System Image when converting W10 to W10 VM

VMware Vcenter Conveter Standalone.   When converting Windows 10 VM to new Windows 10 VM (smaller size disk), have issues with imaging (backup) failing.

Windows  system image appears to complete the backup, but then enters a "compaction" phase and fails with the following errors:

"There was a failure while compacting the virtual hard disk on the backup location. (0x80780151)"

Additional Information:

The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted. (0x800703ED)

This problem does not occur when I use system image to back up the original (source) VM.  It only happens when I attempt to use system image to back up the converted small VM.

Both VM's boot fine under Workstation 12.

The target HDD for the system image is the same in both cases.  The VM host is the same in both cases.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
accjim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I think this is now solved.

Turns out that converter may not have been the issue.   Because VM's not processed by Converter would back up correctly, converter was the suspect.  However, after wrestling with this for a while I decided to re-format the HDD that windows system image was using to write out the backup.   It appears that something was corrupt on the NTFS partition, which for WHATEVER reason only seemed to effect this particular backup.

Reformatted the HDD, used converter, ran windows system image and all work well now. 

Just another day in the IT world.....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
accjim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I think this is now solved.

Turns out that converter may not have been the issue.   Because VM's not processed by Converter would back up correctly, converter was the suspect.  However, after wrestling with this for a while I decided to re-format the HDD that windows system image was using to write out the backup.   It appears that something was corrupt on the NTFS partition, which for WHATEVER reason only seemed to effect this particular backup.

Reformatted the HDD, used converter, ran windows system image and all work well now. 

Just another day in the IT world.....

0 Kudos