VMware Cloud Community
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Management Network

Hello Community

In a vSphere HA cluster, does every ESXi host need to be on the same VLAN/IP Subnet?

As usual, thanks!

Dryv

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

AFAIK there's no such restriction for HA. As long as the HA agents on the hosts are able to talk to each other you should be fine.

However, in order for VM's with static IP settings to work properly, you need to ensure that the same VM networks/VLANs are available on all hosts in the HA cluster.

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

AFAIK there's no such restriction for HA. As long as the HA agents on the hosts are able to talk to each other you should be fine.

However, in order for VM's with static IP settings to work properly, you need to ensure that the same VM networks/VLANs are available on all hosts in the HA cluster.

André

Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi André

Thanks for the response... so going one step further, if I have hosts whose management addresses are on different subnets/VLANS but routable to each other and in the same vSphere cluster:

....then can the hosts vMotion networks also be in different VLANs/Subnets, as long as they are still routable to each other would vMotion still work across the hosts in the cluster?

Dryv

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It depends on the version you are using. VMware introduced separate IP-Stacks for different traffic types in vSphere 6, which allows to configure a separate Gateway address for vMotion.

See https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/whitepaper/vsphere/vmw-white-paper...

André

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was just reading through this! and some other articles...!!!

Thanks André for your help! Really very much appreciated.

I have asked these very basic questions as I'm trying to get my head around NSX across 2 sites (VMSC deployment). Now I'm confirmed I can create my VMSC across 2 sites with the hosts in routable management/vmotion subnets dedicated to each site. I now have to figure out how the VTEPs/VXLAN configuration will happen to provide my stretched VM networks! I'm struggling! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos