VMware Cloud Community
improvingdaily
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can what is the scsiBusNumber when you run the add disk workflow?

I am trying to understand the add disk workflow.  I get the index but I am not sure where the scsibusnumber comes from and then how the controllerKey is generated.  When you add a disk in vcenter to a vm through the GUI you do not have to specify this option.  What does it default to?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

SCSI bus number is the bus number used by the corresponding SCSI controller. The first SCSI controller uses bus number 0, the second uses bus number 1, etc.

When you add a disk using vCenter UI, you are not required to provide a bus number value, but you can if you want to. It is in the option 'Virtual Device Node'. If you don't specify it explicitly, I think the vCenter just auto selects the first available bus number/disk index pair.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

SCSI bus number is the bus number used by the corresponding SCSI controller. The first SCSI controller uses bus number 0, the second uses bus number 1, etc.

When you add a disk using vCenter UI, you are not required to provide a bus number value, but you can if you want to. It is in the option 'Virtual Device Node'. If you don't specify it explicitly, I think the vCenter just auto selects the first available bus number/disk index pair.

0 Kudos