VMware Cloud Community
tljouad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to enable Log Insight alerts over a specific period?

Hello All,

This is my first post in the community and hope it fits to the community terms of use (I try my best).

I would like to know if it possible to enable the log insight alerts over a specific period of time?

I was able to configure the alerts for a specific filter, and trigger the email notification as soon as the number of matches goes over a certain threshold. The problem is that the threshold varies depending on whether it is business hours or not. Therefore the solution would be:

- Either to define two similar alert filters with different thresholds, and enable one only during the business hours, and enable the second outside of business hour.

- Or to define a moving threshold for the same alert filter (which I suspect to be impossible for the moment)

I am currently running on a Version 2.5.0-2347850 (an old version...I know)!

I would be thankful for any kind of help I can get, and hope for a quick feedback

Best regards,

Tarik L.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tljouad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your feedback.

Nevertheless, the main question was about the possibility to control the time-span on which the alert query should be enabled/disabled.

When monitoring customer related activity, the volume highly depends on whether the activity is taking place during or outside of business hours. Therefore the monitoring threshold would be different.

One idea to overcome this is to set different alert queries with different threshold. But then it should be possible to define the time period on which the alert should be enabled and sending alerts.

The same question was asked in here: Re: Is it possible to enable Log Insight alerts over a specific period?

Seems like this is currently not supported in Log Insight. I am currently using a workaround: setting up different outlook rules to delete alerts triggered outside of the desired time interval!

Best regards,

Tarik L

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can control the intervals at which alert queries run, and the conditions when vRealize Log Insight sends alert notifications by selecting to this document: https://pubs.vmware.com/log-insight-43/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.log-insight.user.doc%2FGUID-27C...

0 Kudos
tljouad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your feedback.

Nevertheless, the main question was about the possibility to control the time-span on which the alert query should be enabled/disabled.

When monitoring customer related activity, the volume highly depends on whether the activity is taking place during or outside of business hours. Therefore the monitoring threshold would be different.

One idea to overcome this is to set different alert queries with different threshold. But then it should be possible to define the time period on which the alert should be enabled and sending alerts.

The same question was asked in here: Re: Is it possible to enable Log Insight alerts over a specific period?

Seems like this is currently not supported in Log Insight. I am currently using a workaround: setting up different outlook rules to delete alerts triggered outside of the desired time interval!

Best regards,

Tarik L

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Another possibility you might consider is to use vRO to schedule workflows (custom coding needed) to disable/enable your user alerts on a scheduled basis.