VMware Communities
Tanquen123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 12.5.7 - No VM can see any Windows 10 hosts shared folders.

Not sure what changed or when as this used to work but I can no longer open shared folder in the host OS.

Windows 10 Pro  - 10.0.15063 Build 15063

Workstation 12 Pro – 12.5.7 Build 5813279

I have a dual boot PC and if I run the same VM in the same version of Workstation 12 everything works as it should if I boot into Windows 7.

???

In the Windows 10 setup I can ping the Windows 10 host by IP and name. It’s only after I try and browse for shared folders that I get an error. First “The network name cannot be found.” and then if I run the diagnose option “Windows can’t communicate with the device or resource”.

Issues found

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (##########)

It is available but is not responding to connection attempts. A firewall or network security policy on the remote computer might be blocking the connection on port "file and print sharing resource".

Make sure that the device or resource (##########) allows incoming connections for File and Printer Sharing Completed

4 Replies
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Not sure what changed or when as this used to work

Are you not aware of any change/update in either OS or Workstation or both on your host?

It is available but is not responding to connection attempts. A firewall or network security policy on the remote computer might be blocking the connection on port "file and print sharing resource".

Make sure that the device or resource (##########) allows incoming connections for File and Printer Sharing Completed

Have you followed that message you received to verify anything was valid or not?

0 Kudos
Tanquen123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've updated to the newest version of Workstation on 3 PCs and this is the only one with this issue. I've checked two other Windows 7 hosts and one other Windows 10. They all work but the working Windows 10 is an older version of Windows 10. At some point the Dell Laptop that has the issue updated to the latest version of Windows 10 Preview.

I looked and the errors all morning and could find nothing like what I have going on. Disabled all firewalls and enabled all file and print sharing.

It's so odd that it is only between the laptops Windows 10 host and it's own VMs.

1. Desktop PC to Laptop share = GOOD
  2. Desktop PC VM to Desktop PC share = GOOD
  3. Laptop to Desktop PC share = GOOD
  4. Laptop VM to Desktop PC share = GOOD
  5. Laptop VM to Laptop share = BAD!
0 Kudos
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've updated to the newest version of Workstation on 3 PCs and this is the only one with this issue. I've checked two other Windows 7 hosts and one other Windows 10. They all work but the working Windows 10 is an older version of Windows 10. At some point the Dell Laptop that has the issue updated to the latest version of Windows 10 Preview.

The two Win7 hosts may not be comparable in this case.  Then, the only other Win10 is not in the same version as this one having this reported issue.  So, I guess you will have to either bring the other Win10 up to the same version as this one or take this one "down" to match the other one, in order to compare.

In the meantime, you can find many discussions here on issues with Win10.  You will have to provide more detailed information, such as logs, for others to confirm if yours is the same issue as already reported or a new one.

0 Kudos
bkci
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm this same behavior.

I have run for more than a year now with my Windows 10 host with two file shares. I have always been able to map a network drive from my Windows 10 virtual machine. I allowed VMWare Workstation to upgrade to version 12.5.7 Build 5813279 this week and am no longer able to browse or map a network drive to the host shares. I have literally spent the last four hours trying to resolve this with no luck. I have a separate Windows 10 physical machine that will allow me to see my shares. This is strictly from the hosts own VMs. I can also confirm my Windows 7 virtual machine is also unable to see these shares.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling VMWare Tools to no avail as well.