VMware Communities
Sizzle
Contributor
Contributor

USB-C dock reccomendation / issues for 2017 MacBook Pro running windows 10 on fusion

Hi Guys, about to take delivery of a 2017 MacBook Pro, its USB C only, and i'll need a docking station for ethernet, display and USB devices etc, i want to run windows 10 in Fusion but wondered if anyone has come across any issues? or can reccomend a dock? I have been looking at an OWC

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mesrouilles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi.

For my 2016 MPB I've bought a Kensington SD4600P, not facing particular issue with virtual machines in general (including Windows 10).

But I sometime get an annoying problem with it: when I wake the Mac from screensaver, display look slow like my computer was about to freeze but it's not, everything is fine when I unplug HDMI display.

If I plug HDMI with another adapter it works again well.

I have to reboot my Mac to get things back to normal.

I don't know if it's an issue with the Kensington or the Mac itself...

Sizzle
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it, and I'll have a look at the Kensington, its good to know that the devices can pass through to the VM

Simon

0 Kudos
mesrouilles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You're welcome Smiley Wink

At first I thought VMs caused the issue I mentionned (I also use Virtualbox and almost always have 1 or 2 VMs running) as it seemed to happen only when they were running but later I notices it also happens without any VM running.

To avoid that, sometimes I let the amphetamine app run during my lunch time and prevent the Mac from getting to sleep. Not 100% perfect but in general it works.

0 Kudos