3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2018 8:42 AM by pkharekofax

    vCloud Director 5.5 PowerCLI issue with vApp and VM names with +, & and #

    pkharekofax Novice

      Hi all,


      I get an "ObjectNotFound" error while trying to get vApps and VMs using Get-CIvApp, Get-CIvAppTemplate, or Get-CIVM for vApps and VMs that have +, &, or # in their name.


      If I rename the vApp or VM and replace these characters, by say, a dash, there's no problem.  Also, if I try to get the vApp for a VM using (get-civm vmname).vapp, it doesn't return anything if the vApp name has +, &, or #. 


      This is with the latest release of PowerCLI.  Has anyone else seen this, and is there a solution other than us renaming all such vApps and VMs?


      In the vCloud Director GUI, if you search with these characters, press back arrow and then front arrow, these characters get replaced by Percent Encoding in the search box, e.g. + gets replaced by %2B.





      E.g. We have a vApp with a '+' in its name: "KTA 7.3.1 + SP", and it has a VM "SharePoint_2013".


      ========================= Before renaming: ============================


      We see the VM.

      PS>get-civm Sharepoint_2013


      Name Status GuestOSFullName CpuCount MemoryGB

      ---- ------ --------------- -------- --------

      SharePoint_2013 Suspended Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-... 1        4.000



      We try to get its vApp, but it returns nothing.


      PS>(get-civm Sharepoint_2013).vapp


      Try looking for the vApp itself that has a '+' in its name, nothing is returned.

      PS>Get-CIVApp "KTA 7.3.1 + SP"

      Get-CIVApp : 6/28/2017 7:59:11 AM    Get-CIVApp CIVApp with name 'KTA 7.3.1 + SP' was not found using the specifi

      At line:1 char:1

      + Get-CIVApp "KTA 7.3.1 + SP"

      + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (:) [Get-CIVApp], VimException

          + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_OutputHelper_WriteNotFoundError,VMware.VimAutomation.Cloud.Commands.Cmdlets.GetCIVApp


      ========================= After renaming + to - : ============================


      Look for the vApp, now we find it.

      PS>Get-CIVApp "KTA 7.3.1 - SP"


      Name Enabled InMaintenanceMode    Owner

      ---- ------- -----------------    -----

      KTA 7.3.1 - SP True False conor.callan



      Look for the VM’s vApp, we find it this way as well.

      PS>(get-civm Sharepoint_2013).vapp


      Name Enabled InMaintenanceMode    Owner

      ---- ------- -----------------    -----

      KTA 7.3.1 - SP True False conor.callan