VMware Cloud Community
banderas20
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with vSwitch (Lab 7 task 3 VMWARE ICM 6.0 official lab guide)

Hello everybody.

I am following the step by step guide of the official VMWare ICM 6.0.

I am completely stuck on "Lab 7: Using Standard Switches", task 3 "Assigning VM a new port group".

It has to be said that I am following the guide with the desktop client (not the web).

Task 2 tells me to create a new standard vswitch with a new Port group named "Produccion" (See "Screenshot_1.jpg" attached). Ok so far.

Task 3 tells me to assign that port group to the XP client on the first ESX. (See "Screenshot_2.jpg" attached).

Then I have to turn on the VM and do a ipconfig /release followed by an ipconfig /renew command. The IP that I get can be seen on "Screenshot_3.jpg" attached.

Then I have to ping my vCenter, with no success.

¿Why that IP configuration? ¿Why is there no gateway? ¿How can I configure the "Produccion" network so I can see my vCenter (192.168.1.50)?

¿why the IP ranges of vmnic0 and vmnic1 are such (See "Screenshot_4.jpg" and "Screenshot_5.jpg" attached)?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is the vCenter Server running on the same ESXi host or from another machine?

You may need to ensure the proper IP address of vCenter is 192.168.1.150 as from the screen shot, this is the IP address of the management network of the ESXi host. Move the virtual machine port group "Production" to vSwitch0.

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos