VMware Cloud Community
BEHTERA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ERROR MSG - NETWORK BRIDGE ON DEVICE VMNET0 IS NOT RUNNING

Hi. I have been using VMPlayer which runs as a guest Linux OS on Windows 10 for quite a while.
I applied some Windows updates a couple of days ago which included the new Creator version. Yesterday
when I started my VMPlayer VM machine  I received the error as noted above as subject. Somehow I think
the Ethernet adapter settings were changed.  I searched the web and found some hits on this which included
step by step instructions on how to install  the service - VMware Bridge Protocol under Settings, Network & Internet,
Ethernet. The steps are straightforward and I'm sure I didn't make a mistake. I then stopped and restarted the
VMware  NAT and DHCP  services. I then rebooted my laptop. I received the same error when I started my VMPlayer VM machine.

I don't have Workstation installed. Basically I'm accessing a Teradata database which runs on a VM guest Linux machine
under VMPlayer.

I'm hoping some VMware users may have seen this issue and may provide me with some advice.. stuck now and
not sure how to proceed with this issue.

I am greatly hoping that I do not have to reinstall VMware since for me that will result in a massive amount of work.

thanks

my env.

EDITION - WINDOWS 10 PRO

VERSION - 1703

BUILD   - 15063.403

VMPlayer - version 6.0.7 

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BEHTERA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi bluefirestorm.....  well what do you know..... I checked for updates today and found this:

2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4022716)

I downloaded and applied it and voila....... all is now right with  my VMPlayer connections, business as usual...

like... go figure... haven't read the KB yet.....

Thanks very much for your advice and suggestions.... and time......

View solution in original post

6 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Based on your description it looks like you are using 32-bit VMware Player 6.0.7. Any particular reason why you don't want or can't use the Workstation Player 12.5.7? Is your Windows 10 also 32-bit?

Windows 10 1703 seems to have broken network settings for different VMware versions (Player, Workstation Player, Workstation Pro).

FWIW, after going from Windows 10 1607 to 1703, a week later I upgraded from Workstation Pro 12.5.5 to Workstation Pro 12.5.7 and almost immediately started having VMware NAT problems only when using the WiFi but not on the Ethernet LAN (strange indeed). Using Virtual Network Editor to "Reset to Default" didn't help. (I don't think VMware Player has the Virtual Network Editor)

Eventually I had to do a "Network Reset" in Windows 10 1703. I didn't uninstall/re-install VMware.

Suggestions to try:

(1) Use Ethernet LAN instead of WiFi (or vice-versa) and see if that makes any difference to your Bridged connection

(2) If possible, re-install VMware Player 6.0.7.

(3) do a Network Reset

I don't suggest installing Workstation Player 12.5.7 yet as installing it may not help with the Bridge problem that you have; especially if (2) doesn't work. I also don't want to risk breaking your current setup with your VM (which probably has very old VMware compatibility settings). Have read at least one other post re-installing Player 12.5.x after losing their VM network connections post 1703 update also didn't help.

To do a Network Reset,

Right click on Windows logo on taskbar (keyboard shortcut - Windows key + X) and select "Network Connections". I didn't time it but it must have taken around 3-5 minutes to complete on my laptop and it also had a warning about losing VPN settings (which I didn't have any).

I hope that helps resolve your problem.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
BEHTERA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Bluefirestorm.. thanks for your reply...

Just an update, I'm running Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit..  I really don't want to reinstall VMware Player... that for me would result in a lot of extra downstream work which I want to avoid if at possible. My problem is with the Ethernet connection.

From what I see, the VMware driver is dated 7/17/2013,  V4.2.0.1 ---  perhaps not current

I don't use VPN.

Some Q's for you....

1.  I am using Bell  for internet use, its a wireless network connection (uses WIFI)... will the network reset cause any problems with this? If so ouch .....

2. You indicated that you left VMware Workstation alone and the network reset solved this issue for you. Do you know of any user using Player doing the rest?

3. I'm certainly not overly familiar with networking in general, to your knowledge are there any possible issues I may have to deal with after the reset?

4. Is it feasible to try updating the driver? Not sure if this even possible but thought I'd ask..

Sorry to be pain but this is new ground breaking for me....

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I am using Bell  for internet use, its a wireless network connection (uses WIFI)... will the network reset cause any problems with this? If so ouch .....

Sorry, I don't know anything about setup with Bell. I don't think we live in the same country although we are in the same planet. FWIW, after the network reset everything still worked fine for me with the WiFi router that I have.

Do you know of any user using Player doing the rest?

I am not aware of any. It would be great to know later that it has worked and resolved the problem for you.

to your knowledge are there any possible issues I may have to deal with after the reset?

I don't think this "Network Reset" was available before 1703. It probably is a GUI equivalent or an existing command line tool (or some variation of it) that have been available long ago in different versions of Windows. I took a leap in trying it and all went well. It was really a strange problem, only WiFi NAT for the VMs was a problem; it was able to get an NAT IP address but fail to access the internet; but wired NAT was OK; and so was WiFi Bridged and wired Bridge. I didn't really expect Network Reset to work. Because if the Network Reset didn't work, uninstall-reinstall would have been my recourse which from the different posts here sometimes would seem like madness as it doesn't always work out.

Is it feasible to try updating the driver?

I guess you are referring to the Ethernet LAN driver that has the Bridged Protocol bound to it? These days the Windows Update would also include driver updates.

Since you supplied additional information that you are using the VMware Bridged protocol exclusively with the wired Ethernet LAN, maybe one more thing to check. Make sure that the VMware Bridge Protocol is checked with the wired Ethernet LAN controller that you have.

Run (Windows key + R) or from command line run ncpa.cpl which brings outs a window with the different networks. You should see your WiFi, Wired Ethernet, VMnet1, VMnet8. RIght click on the Ethernet and select Properties.

pastedImage_4.png

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Some more points about the Network Reset, all the previous WiFi networks that it was connected to/remembered will be wiped out. So you do have to reconfigure/reconnect to your WiFi router/hotspot as necessary; but I don't think that as a pain; just a minor inconvenience.

As to the driver, I think maybe you are referring to the VMware driver but I am afraid that is because of the VMware Player 6.0.7 that you are using. And that would likely be a 32-bit driver.

0 Kudos
BEHTERA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi bluefirestorm.....  well what do you know..... I checked for updates today and found this:

2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4022716)

I downloaded and applied it and voila....... all is now right with  my VMPlayer connections, business as usual...

like... go figure... haven't read the KB yet.....

Thanks very much for your advice and suggestions.... and time......

BEHTERA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK... back to this issue again.....it occurred yet again following the Windows 10 upgrade from 1703 to 1709... This time however there is no KB

available... I've done the basic steps to uninstall / install the VMWare Bridge Protocol... stopped and restarted all VM services. The VMWare Bridge Protocol

is checked under 'properties'  . Rebooted my laptop....  No luck...

Anyone have any suggestions?  This is very irritating ...  thanks

0 Kudos