VMware Communities
cesar9diaz
Contributor
Contributor

could no connect 'ethernet 0' to virtual network '/dev/ vmnet0' (arch linux manjaro)

It is the first time I work with vmware in linux environments. And I do not understand why I do not iditifica the local network and usb ports I am not able to select them. Does anyone think the same thing? I'm running the latest version 12.5.6

Captura de pantalla de 2017-06-21 10-05-13.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The next update release of VMware Workstation includes a fix for a network bridging issue which might cause networking problems when running on recent Linux distributions, notably including Arch.  It might be possible to patch up the root cause of the issue if you need bridged networking immediately, but it won't be straightforward; Your other options are to reconfigure the virtual Network Adapter to use NAT for the time being, or to wait for the update and see if it works with the new version.  I don't have a firm timeline for availability of the update, but I'm hopeful that it will be in the days-to-weeks range, not the weeks-to-months-or-more range.

For the USB issue, check that the vmware-usbarbitrator process is running on the host, and launch it (as root) if it isn't already running.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
cesar9diaz
Contributor
Contributor

procesos vmware.png

In the processes I do not see the attributes of the usb ... maybe I have to install it separately.

usb software.png

In repositories, I do not see it either.

Regarding the network, if necessary. Right now it's all I need. USB ports can wait. If you tell me how to make it work with NAT I would appreciate it.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There should be several more "vmware" processes running as user "root".  They are either not being shown by your process list, or perhaps none of the VMware services are running.  For more information on handling the services on Arch Linux, please refer to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VMware and particularly the vmware-systemd-services package.

If you still decide to try using the NAT network configuration, the instructions are here: Modify an Existing Virtual Network Adapter for a Virtual Machine

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Hi Darius.   I

I don't know if you are still monitoring these forums but if you are it might interest you that I have run into this exact problem using VMware WS 15.5.6 on Manjaro 20.03 (Gnome) using kenrel 5.7.7.    Before I consider your solutions it is interesting that I have no such connectivity issues with creating a VM of the latest Windows 10 Insider Dev using VMM (QEMU/KVM).   No problem with gnome-boxes either.    I have a sneaky feeling I won't be able to solve this problem but was pretty amazed that a search picked up this threads.

Warm regards,

Marty Felker

P.S.

Problem solved.   This is also likely the correct answer to the OP.   This from the Manjaro VMware article

sudo systemctl enable --now vmware-networks.service

sudo systemctl enable --now vmware-usbarbitrator.service

sudo systemctl enable --now vmware-hostd.service

0 Kudos