VMware Horizon Community
Starkz0r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Core AppStack Design?

Hello All,

I'm in the midst of designing AppStacks for our Company each associated with the relative departments such as;

• HR
  • Accounts
  • Warehouse
  • IT

Ect ect...

Each departments have at least one or two unique programs along with the traditional prerequisites such as;

• .dotNET 4.6
  • C++ Visual Redist 14.
  • SAP Crystal Reports
  • Microsoft Silverlight

Now my question to the community, what are your thoughts/experience when designing CoreApp Stacks ?

I'm trying to make the design efficient as possible and try and limit the amount of AppStack assigned to users and trying not to put the same application twice.

I'm thinking maybe the following;

CoreApp Stacks.PNG

Look forward to hearing from you guys!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It all depends on how you build it up.

We decided to install middleware into the golden image as a lot of applciations depend on it. So .Net and VC Redists are all installed in golden image.

Also applications like Flash or the JRE engine is installed in golden image and we also decided to add Office inot the golden image as all users need it.

On top of that we have 1 "base"  appstack with applications that everyone uses. You could think of a Unified Communications agent or your ERP software, something along those lines.

We then created appstacks per unit (in your case HR, Accounts etc.) so every user has at least 2 appstacks, the base appstack and the unit appstack.

Last but not least we have the single application appstack, these are mostly applications used by just a few users or users devided over multiple units and have license requeirements. Also applications that have different versions and all need to be provisioned.

At max we see users that have about 7 appstacks and 1 writable. Most of the users don't have more than 5 appstacks with this setup.

I would not suggest assigning more than 10 appstacks in total so if you are to use a writable go for max 9 appstacks.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It all depends on how you build it up.

We decided to install middleware into the golden image as a lot of applciations depend on it. So .Net and VC Redists are all installed in golden image.

Also applications like Flash or the JRE engine is installed in golden image and we also decided to add Office inot the golden image as all users need it.

On top of that we have 1 "base"  appstack with applications that everyone uses. You could think of a Unified Communications agent or your ERP software, something along those lines.

We then created appstacks per unit (in your case HR, Accounts etc.) so every user has at least 2 appstacks, the base appstack and the unit appstack.

Last but not least we have the single application appstack, these are mostly applications used by just a few users or users devided over multiple units and have license requeirements. Also applications that have different versions and all need to be provisioned.

At max we see users that have about 7 appstacks and 1 writable. Most of the users don't have more than 5 appstacks with this setup.

I would not suggest assigning more than 10 appstacks in total so if you are to use a writable go for max 9 appstacks.

Starkz0r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Morning Ray!

Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated!

At the moment, we've been struck with a Windows 10 roll-out within our environment so we're deciding along with our enterprise agreement do we provision a Windows 10 Desktop pool

so our App Vol Manager is all over the shop with no real order, our current golden image has

• Flash NAPI/PAPI
  • Chrome/Firefox
  • .NET 4.6
  • Microsoft Silverlight

Was thinking the same thing you did with Office would be a great idea, everyone definitely uses it

Cheers

0 Kudos