VMware Cloud Community
Bradfords
Contributor
Contributor

Which VMWare Product

I have no experience with VMware and I am having difficulty finding the answer to this problem,

I need to install a OVF file format in VMware and nothing else, I would want to install the VMware on a windows 10 or Windows 2008 server without having to have a dedicated machine for this project.

What would be the best product in the range to do this with minimum costs.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

If the goal is to import a VM in OVF format to run in VMware with the minimum cost, the best would be to go with VMware Workstation Player. There is a free for non-commercial use version that requires a valid email address.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/playerpro-evaluation.html

The OVFtool does come with the VMware Player Workstation.

As to whether to install on the Windows 10 or Windows 2008 host, if the hardware capabilities of the two are more or less equal to support the guest VM, it would be best to go with the Windows 10 as it is more recent and more people are more likely to use Windows 10 as host for VMware Player compared to Windows 2008; so community support/tips for issues (if any arises), is easier to obtain.

Hope that answers your query.

Bradfords
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response.

I have downloaded and checked and the player is able to support the ovf format.

I did try to telephone VMWare sales but they suggested i go to the community forums to find my answer which I do find extremely strange since they are supposed to the experts.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos