VMware Horizon Community
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Conditional FTA's not working in Windows 10 1607?

Hi,

I'm trying to use the FTA user environment settings with conditions to set the default program for PDFs.  The use case is this: we have Adobe Reader DC And Adobe Acrobat DC installed on the golden image.  Acrobat DC is only licensed when a user logs into it with their Adobe Creative Cloud credentials.  I have two items configured for the pdf file extension...

First:

Associate PDF's with Adobe Acrobat DC

if user is a member of AD group "Adobe_Pro_Default"

Second:

Associate PDF's with Adobe Reader DC

if user is NOT a member of AD group "Adobe_Pro_Default"

When I check the debug log, it appears that the conditions are working properly and settings are getting applied.  However it seems that Windows is still associating Edge with PDF's.

I've seen some documents about customizing the default FTA's in the parent image, but that is not what I need.  I need conditional FTA's to avoid having to maintain a separate parent image.

Thanks!

5 Replies
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Regarding Edge and PDF hijacking, there is an article describing how to prevent this hijacking. Though, I haven't fully tested it myself yet.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/edge-hijack-pdf-htm-associations/

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
gglynn
Contributor
Contributor

Citrix seems to have resolved this issue with Citrix Profile Management 5.7. I don't know if they did some heavy reverse engineering or bought some secret sauce directly from Microsoft, but has VMware made any progress with setting and/or roaming FTA setting for Windows 10 with UEM?

0 Kudos
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have roaming FTA's in WIn10 working using these settings.  I just can't get the forced FTA's from UEM working.

#Windows 10 Only

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts

[IncludeIndividualRegistryValues]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserSignedIn

I tried the built in defalt apps flex config that came with UEM 9.2 and it did not work for me, I had to add the extra lines shown in my config (I found that on the forum somewhere, can't find the original thread now.. )  The last 3 lines of the FlexConfig above are missing from the built in default FTA Flexconfig in 9.2.

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Do you see any messages about Windows resetting back to the default apps for FTA's in the bottom-right corner?

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

pchapman

The only way we were able to force .PDF associations was to modify the DefaultAssociations.xml in C:\Windows\system32 on the Master Image.

We have .pdf line set to:

<Association Identifier=".pdf" ProgId="Acrobat.Document.DC" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat DC" />

So don't know if it will help you or not as we don't have either Reader DC and Acrobat DC installed on the master image. Both are installed in separate AppStacks with AppVolumes. But when both are together, Acrobat overtakes the association in our environment.

Do you have AppVolumes?

0 Kudos