VMware Horizon Community
marcony
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot RDC to desktop after installing Horizon Agent

Hi,

I noticed, that Remote Desktop Connection used from Win OS level, is not possible to remote desktop, after installing Horizon Agent on that desktop.

I am using Horizon Agent v7.1, and RDC is not possible, no matter if desktop source is managed (part of MS AD) or unmanaged (agent installed on physical desktop or desktop that is not part of MS domain, or even is not installed on vSphere platform).

To clarify, I am talking about RDC from Win OS, not the Horizon Client (that might be using RDP).

Furthermore, I noticed, that after removing Horiizon Agent from unmanaged desktop, RDC is again available/possible (if correctly configured on desktop machine). On the other hand, when removing Horizon Agent on managed desktop, I cannot find a way how to get RDC working again. Cannot find any wrong detail within Windows Firewall, that might be cause of the issue...

For the moment, I am asking for help, how to configure unmanaged desktop, to allow RDC, after Horizon Agent (v7.1) is installed. At the end, this desktop does not have anything in common with domain policies, as this one is not part of the domain, and not installed on vSphere environment, but on one free ESXi server. So, domain policies should not be the cause of blocked RDC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcony
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

just to close this subject, with info that I found on VMware portal. Looking at VMware KB 2145313 ( Cannot connect to view desktop using RDP Client (2145313) | VMware KB  ) , it's obvious that installation of Horizon Agent disables TLS1.0. RDP used in Windows 7 machines supports only TLS 1.0. Therefore, RDP connection fails when TLS 1.0 is disabled on windows 7 machine. In my lab, I was using win7...

Solution can be found at Microsoft KB 3080079 ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3080079/update-to-add-rds-support-for-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-i...  ).

After updating my win7 Horizon Agent VMs, there were no more issues, so I was able to RDP to Horizon Agent VMs using Microsoft RDP. Remote connection using Horizon Client was not affected, so it was also possible.

Marcony

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

marcony could be a possibility that the firewall may be blocking the incoming and outgoing inputs.

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
marcony
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not at all!

On my corporate firewall, I checked policies, and found no blocked traffic. Furthermore, I modified policies to allow all traffic (both directions) and again there were same issues.

Talking about windows firewall on Desktop machine, I tested also with Win Firewall OFF, but same issue.

Ans as I told: when uninstall Horizon Agent on non-domain Desktop, everything is OK (RDP to Desktop is possible). On the other hand, uninstalling Horizon Agent on domain Desktop, does not solve the issue.

Before installing horizon agent for the first time, I was able to RDP to both desktops (domain and non-domain).

0 Kudos
marcony
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

just to close this subject, with info that I found on VMware portal. Looking at VMware KB 2145313 ( Cannot connect to view desktop using RDP Client (2145313) | VMware KB  ) , it's obvious that installation of Horizon Agent disables TLS1.0. RDP used in Windows 7 machines supports only TLS 1.0. Therefore, RDP connection fails when TLS 1.0 is disabled on windows 7 machine. In my lab, I was using win7...

Solution can be found at Microsoft KB 3080079 ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3080079/update-to-add-rds-support-for-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-i...  ).

After updating my win7 Horizon Agent VMs, there were no more issues, so I was able to RDP to Horizon Agent VMs using Microsoft RDP. Remote connection using Horizon Client was not affected, so it was also possible.

Marcony

0 Kudos