VMware Communities
akashahmed
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to open file : The system cannot find the file specified.

my vmware machine was running and suddenly my PC shutdown due to power problem. when i turn on my pc again and try to open my vmware machine it show me this error "

Unable to open file "C:\Users\JUWEL\Documents\Virtual Machines\pc8\pc8.vmdk":

The system cannot find the file specified. " after all check, i saw some files are missing from the folder and I don't know how those get deleted. i attached some screenshots. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There is no virtual disk in your screenshot (aka the virtual machine cannot work) as it seems only the descriptor file pc8.vmdk is left.

Have you tried to search your disk for files names starting with "pc8" and ending on vmdk?

(Eg. in windows search enter: pc8*.vmdk )

Perhaps the file got moved to another folder by accident?

If that doesn't work you might try some undelete tool to see if that gives you back your virtual disk, but that doesn't always work well with large files such as virtual disks.

If you need to undelete then do not use your host as bits and pieces of your data will get overwritten over time.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please attach pc8.vmdk to your next reply.
It is required to find out wether the virtual disk has been truncated or if the binary extends are missing.

0 Kudos