VMware Communities
FloorPlanMapper
Contributor
Contributor

Running VM's on a AMD Ryzen 1600+ system...

Hi there,

I recently upgraded my PC to an AMD Ryzen 1600.  Now my Windows Server 2008 VM won't start.

2017-06-08T22:17:25.604-07:00| vcpu-0| I125: [msg.log.error.unrecoverable] VMware Player unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)

2017-06-08T22:17:25.604-07:00| vcpu-0| I125+ vcpu-0:VERIFY vmcore/vmm/main/cpuid.c:386 bugNr=1036521

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance,

M

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Usually that error indicates the virtualisation is not enabled in the BIOS/EFI.

Since you just changed processor and presumably a new motherboard as well, maybe the virtualisation feature is currently disabled in the BIOS/EFI.

Go to the BIOS/EFI, and ensure that the virtualisation support is enabled. I think it might be called AMD-V or SVM since you have an AMD processor. In the Intel world, it would have been called something such as VT-x.

0 Kudos
FloorPlanMapper
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply - SVM is enabled in the BIOS however still have the issue!

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Another thing to try is to go to the "Processor" settings of the VM.

Presumably, "Automatic" has been chosen for "Virtualization Engine"- "Preferred Mode"? "Automatic" is the default and generally that works without problems. Try "Intel VT-x or AMD-V" or "Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" to see if it makes any difference. You can leave all the 3 checkboxes unchecked (Disable acceleration for binary translation, virtualize Intel VT-X/EPT or AMD-V/RVI, virtualize CPU performance counters).

If you don't mind please attach the vmx and/or vmware.log on your next reply otherwise we may have to play 20 questions about versions of host OS, VMware player, and a bunch of other settings if the problem persists.

0 Kudos