VMware Communities
adrianhughes199
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation Player USB guest OS locking possible?

Hi everyone,

I am using VMWare Workstation Player 12 on Windows 10 Home x64 with Windows 7 Home Basic x64 as a VM.

The issue I am having is that I am running a cell phone firmware flashing program that I am flashing a dead phone with to recover it. The program works perfectly in grabbing all the older drivers for the device, however when it enters the flashing mode it continually disconnects then re-connects the USB interface (this is the correct behaviour).

I was wondering if there is a way to get the virtual machine to bypass USB detection in the host OS and only have it operate in the guest OS? That way the firmware flash won't fail like it is doing now. Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Adrian.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Adrian,

I don't have VMware workstation Player close by, so can't check if it has a "always connect to guest"  feature in the user interface like Workstation has, but if it does not, then you can still do this by modifying the .vmx file from your VM.

For details on how you should do that see this post:

wmware workstation pro - automatic connection of usb e-token

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
adrianhughes199
Contributor
Contributor

the only option it has is to select "automatic connection of new USB devices" so yeah that's no help there.

Thankyou for that article and your help, will give it a try when I get home tonight and keep you posted.

0 Kudos