3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2020 11:15 AM by Gronver

VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible

Mike9876 Novice

Hello, I have Windows 10 Enterprise on my PC. I recently enabled Credential Guard and Device Guard for fun. I heard they were new features for Windows 10 Enterprise. My problem started when, I wasn't able to open VM's on VMware Workstation Pro. It gave the error:

VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible. VMware Workstation can be run after disabling Device/Credential Guard. Please visit http://www.vmware.com/go/turnoff_CG_DG for more details

I tried the link and disabled "Virtualization Based Security" the same way I enabled it in the first place. Then I disabled Hyper-V in control panel. There's a bunch of CMD lines (from the link) I didn't use because it told me to use an "unused drive" and I don't know what that means...I tried C:. If I can get what drive to use figured out that might fix it, but I'll continue. I had geek squad remotely connect and try disabling it but they couldn't get VMware to run and got the same error.

Now, I decided to perform a clean install of Windows from my bootable Windows 10 Enterprise USB. After installing Windows, I installed VMware Workstation from a back-up on a SD Card. I installed a VM of Windows 8.1 Enterprise and started it up. Then I got the same error that "VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible." I went into gpedit and it says device guard is set to "not configured" like it was before I enabled it for the first time (off.) So how do I disable Device/Credential Guard so I can use VMware? Isn't it weird that it's still on after reinstalling Windows (clean) and shows up as "not-configured" in GPO? If I want to try the CMD lines from the VMware link (see above) what should I enter for the unused drive? I've got a blank SD card.

Please reply with how to disable the Guards so I can get VMware working. And what drive letter I should use in CMD (or an explanation of what that means.) Thank you