VMware Cloud Community
risingflight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update Manager

Hi

I am new to update manager, i was given few list of updates to be deployed.

for ex: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2148168   http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2148155

Can anyone help me how to deploy the updates using update manager.

Do i need to move the host from the cluster or i can put in maintenance mode and deploy updates.

can i create a baseline with the list of updates i got.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In Tool upgrade, it will upgrade the tool then reboot but in hardware upgrade it will first shutdown the machine and then upgrade the hardware.

In production environment, it is not recommended to make it via baseline as VMs may have issue and if it happed then you may come in trouble as many VMs will go down.

However this process also takes the sanpshot before doing this but still not safer for a bulk of VMs.

VA upgrade is for VMware virtual appliances like VCSA, Vsphere replicator and many other things.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Stewaters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Assuming your cluster can sustain the loss of a host, then you can just put it in maintenance mode.  No need to move the host out of the cluster.

I normally create a Baseline Group which contains all the Critical Host Patches and Non-Critical Host Patches as I apply all available patches.  Once you create the Baseline group, you attach the baseline to the host and then select Scan for Updates.  This will scan your host and tell you whether it is compliant or not and list the patches that need to be applied.

Next, click Remediate which will launch a new window with some options.  It's pretty straight forward, the only things to watch out for are under Cluster Remediation Options.  You may need to disable HA admission control if it is enabled during the maintenance period.  The remediation process will automatically place your host into maintenance mode.  Sometimes the host fails to go into maintenance mode, this could be because the VMs cannot be vmotioned across to another host.  Common causes are attached CD drives or host affinity rules.

0 Kudos
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Follow the below steps.

1. Install the update manager from the Vcenter setup ISO on any windows 2008 server. You can install it on windows based vcenter itself.

2. During the setup, it will ask you to enter the existing vcenter credentials and name.

3. After installation, you will find the pluggins in Vcenter pluggin. Download and install this plugging.

4. You are done with your configuration.

There is by default two baseline created automatically critical and not critical patches. Add both baseline to any ESXi host.

You need the put the ESXi host in maintenance mode first then add both baseline then scan then stage and then remediate.

Host will reboot and come online. Here you have got your ESXi patched.

Hope, it will solve your query. Do not forget to mark this helpful or solved.

0 Kudos
risingflight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks alot

Can i create a custom baseline and add the patches which i need to push

When i create a custom baseline i cannot see the patches.

0 Kudos
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, you can also create custom baseline or edit the existing one.

Hope, it solves your query. Please do not forget to mark this as resolved.

Thanks

0 Kudos
iamamit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, here are the GUI based steps you can refer to use update manager for patch installation on ESXi hosts.

How to use Update Manager for patch installation on ESXi servers?

How to Upgrade ESXi Hosts Using VMware vSphere Update Manager?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
risingflight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi experts

Thanks alot for the help

I have created a custom baseline for esxi hosts.

For virtual machines when i go to VMs and Templates, I can see under Upgraded Baselines

VMware Tools upgrade to Match host(Predefined)

VM Hardware upgrade to match host(Predefined)

VA Upgrade to latest.

i have 5 clusters can i attach (VMware tools upgrade to match host) and (VM Hardware upgrade to Match host) to particular cluster virtual machines

Will the virtual machines be automatically rebooted after the vmware tools upgrade and secondly do VM hardware version of VM get upgraded after reboot. What i understand is VM hardwrae version requires shutdown.

What is VA upgrade to latest?

I have vdi's in the cluster when i open the console i just see black screen, and upgrade vmware tools and vm hardware upgrade create an issue on vdis.

Do VDIs open from vsphere client

0 Kudos
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In Tool upgrade, it will upgrade the tool then reboot but in hardware upgrade it will first shutdown the machine and then upgrade the hardware.

In production environment, it is not recommended to make it via baseline as VMs may have issue and if it happed then you may come in trouble as many VMs will go down.

However this process also takes the sanpshot before doing this but still not safer for a bulk of VMs.

VA upgrade is for VMware virtual appliances like VCSA, Vsphere replicator and many other things.

0 Kudos