VMware Cloud Community
mrjoli021
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

esxi and FreeNas on same datastore

I am installing ESX 6.5 on a 128GB USB drive.  I would like to also install FreeNas on the same local storage.  I am doing this to share my storage through FreeNas.  The issue is that I am not seeing the USB drive as avail storage on ESX.

How can I install FreeNas and ESX on the same VM?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

USB drives are not supported as backing disk for a datastore. That is the reason you are not seeing the USB drive.

However, there are some guides online on how to use a USB drive for a datastore, USB Devices as VMFS Datastore in vSphere ESXi 6.5 | Virten.net

I do not know if this is also possible with a USB drive on which you have installed ESXi.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

USB drives are not supported as backing disk for a datastore. That is the reason you are not seeing the USB drive.

However, there are some guides online on how to use a USB drive for a datastore, USB Devices as VMFS Datastore in vSphere ESXi 6.5 | Virten.net

I do not know if this is also possible with a USB drive on which you have installed ESXi.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you please explain the scenario?

Where you trying to install ESXi? in a VM or Desktop/server? If its a VM, is it a workstation VM or VM on ESXi?

0 Kudos