VMware Cloud Community
laboo
Contributor
Contributor

Load Balance NICs with vDistributed switch

I have been reading what I have been able to find on the net reg. bundling/trunking/agregating links in VMware. Doing this on single hosts I am not really able to really agregate NIC getting 2 Gbps agregating two nics. It either does Round Robin or similar rather than LACP which is what I am after.

I understand that this is possible using vCenter and Distributed vSwitch (and Enterprise Plus license). Not sure exactly how, but if I outline my infratructure here, I hope that some of you will give some suggestions on what to do.

Three simmilar hosts. Each with 2 FC's and 6 1 Gbps NICs (lets forget the FC's - they are like they are)

Two of the NICs I have dedicated for vMotion. This works... I am able to get 2 Gbps bandwith when doing vMotions.

Then for now I am running the last four like this:

2 NICs for a secondary (iSCSI) disksystem and 2 NICs for VMs and vKernel (seperate VLANs)

Switch is a HP Comware switch and I am planning to setup these as Dynamic Trunking (LACP)

First question... would you guys seperate iSCSI and VM's on physical NICS or would you bundle all four NICs and seperate everything through VLANs?

Then the next question... how to setup vCenter Distributed Switches on vCenter 6.5 in order to Really load balance most optimal?

Regards, Lars.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dja234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is my suggestions.

1. Configure two nics for management & vMotion

2.Configure two nics for iscsi(to confgiure iscsi nic teaming please refer this guide  Configuring iSCSI port binding with multiple NICs in one vSwitch for VMware ESXi 5.x and 6.0.x (2045... )

3. in the vmware distributed switch we have an option route based on physical nic load.This is the real load balancing(vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center )

Darshana Jayathilake
0 Kudos
laboo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I will see if I can try it tomorrow.

I read the Configuring iSCSI port binding with multiple NICs in one vSwitch for VMware ESXi 5.x and 6.0.x (2045... right now though. Will this give iSCSI load ballance? It seems to me more like a fail over.

Regards, Lars.

0 Kudos
dja234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since we are configuring two port groups, it will give us a load balancing.

Darshana Jayathilake
0 Kudos