VMware Horizon Community
Dongjianhua
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Regarding persistent disk in VMware View ?

Hi experts,

I have two questions regarding persistent disk in VMware View.

1. What is the Max size for a persistent disk ? Or unlimited ?

2. Can i increase the size of the persistent disk when it gets full ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Persistent disks

Min Recommended 4 (GB)

Max Recommended 20 (GB)

"Sizing Guidelines When You Edit an Existing Desktop Pool

View estimates the storage space that is needed for new clones. When you create a desktop pool, the sizing guidelines encompass the entire pool. When you edit an existing desktop pool, the guidelines encompass only the new clones that you add to the pool.

For example, if you add 100 clones to a desktop pool and select a new datastore, View estimates space requirements for the 100 new clones.

If you select a new datastore but keep the desktop pool the same size, or reduce the number of clones, the sizing guidelines show as 0. The values of 0 reflect that no new clones must be created on the selected datastore. Space requirements for the existing clones are already accounted for."

Can i increase the size of the persistent disk when it gets full?

No solution posted here, logged a call with VM...their response was that it was not supported.

LINK: https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/27698780/vSphere-5-persintent-pool-resize-disposable-disk... 

Example Sizing Table for OS and Persistent Disks

Sizing Guidelines When You Edit an Existing Desktop Pool

LINK: Documentation for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.0

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator.

http://ITCloudStream.com/

Stay Connected :smileyplus: Don't forget to:

Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
bhamm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Perhaps something has changed, but when I last asked VMware support about extending a UDD, they didn't mention any problems.  I've done in many times without issue.

If you want to try it, the procedure would be:

-Open the VM's hardware settings in the vSphere client.

-There will likely be at least 3 drives - one for your regular system drive (C:), one for AD info (usually ~100mb, not visible), and your UDD.  Increase the size of the one that's for the UDD.

-In the guest OS, rescan the drives (or reboot).

-Extend the volume & file system into the new space.  You can typically do this remotely with the disk management snap-in.

Whether this works will depend on the type of volume used, but with moder windows defaults, it should be fine. You won't be able to extend the system drive, since it has a snapshot.  You also wouldn't benefit by extending the small drive for AD info.

0 Kudos