VMware Cloud Community
nzjono
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCD 8.20 Import VM fails (java.lang.NullPointerException)

Hi all

We've just installed vCD 8.20 / vSphere 6.5 in the lab prior to a production deployment and we're working through our planned migration strategy for importing client VMs.

In testing we appear to have run into a bug with importing from vSphere - attempting to import a VM into an existing vApp fails with a java exception on the cell but importing the VM as a new vApp succeeds (and you can subsequently move the VM into the vApp you'd intended to import it into in the first place).

Has anyone else tried importing a VM from vSphere into an existing vApp?  Have I goofed something?  Tried with a couple of different VMs and vApps.

Thanks!

From vcloud-container-debug.log:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.vmware.vcloud.vdc.impl.ImportServiceImpl.fillVmSpecDiskSection(ImportServiceImpl.java:2377)

at com.vmware.vcloud.vdc.impl.ImportServiceImpl.importIntoExistingVApp(ImportServiceImpl.java:873)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor5849.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:317)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.adapter.MethodBeforeAdviceInterceptor.invoke(MethodBeforeAdviceInterceptor.java:51)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:161)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.adapter.MethodBeforeAdviceInterceptor.invoke(MethodBeforeAdviceInterceptor.java:51)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:161)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)

at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.MethodInvocationProceedingJoinPoint.proceed(MethodInvocationProceedingJoinPoint.java:80)

at com.vmware.ssdc.backendbase.annotation.PresentationApiDiagnosticsInterceptor.aroundSecurePresentationLayerMethod(PresentationApiDiagnosticsInterceptor.java:51)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1651.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethodWithGivenArgs(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:621)

at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethod(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:610)

at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AspectJAroundAdvice.invoke(AspectJAroundAdvice.java:65)

at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:91)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)

at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy948.importIntoExistingVApp(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor5849.invoke(Unknown Source)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nzjono
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think I've found the answer myself - looks like a known issue, apparently resolved in vCD 8.20.0.1 released 18 May:

Cannot import a vSphere VM into an existing vApp in vCloud Director for Service Providers 8.20 throu...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
nzjono
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think I've found the answer myself - looks like a known issue, apparently resolved in vCD 8.20.0.1 released 18 May:

Cannot import a vSphere VM into an existing vApp in vCloud Director for Service Providers 8.20 throu...

nzjono
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tested..resolved.

0 Kudos