VMware Communities
PerryShops
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

'subst' not working in MS-DOS

Could I please get someone to verify that it's not possible to use the 'subst' command from MS-DOS is VMware Fusion?  I'm on a powerbook OSX host.  DOS version is 6.22.

When I execute a command such as:

C:\> subst m: .

I get the following result:

C:\> Invalid parameter - M:

All other supposedly valid 'subst' commands give similar results.  I was able to get this command working from a Win2K guest... so I'm pretty sure "user error" can be eliminated in this particular situation Smiley Wink

I've already been told that VMware doesn't consider this OS much of a priority... but it is a supported OS, correct?

Regards ~ Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It is a supported OS to install but it doesn't mean that VMware will support MS-DOS issues.

IIRC, LASTDRIVE by default is E and it is complaining of invalid parameter because M isn't recognised as a valid drive letter assignment.

So you probably have to add LASTDRIVE=M (or whatever comes later in the English alphabet to support the SUBST that you want) in CONFIG.SYS.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It is a supported OS to install but it doesn't mean that VMware will support MS-DOS issues.

IIRC, LASTDRIVE by default is E and it is complaining of invalid parameter because M isn't recognised as a valid drive letter assignment.

So you probably have to add LASTDRIVE=M (or whatever comes later in the English alphabet to support the SUBST that you want) in CONFIG.SYS.

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

According to my Que "Using MS-DOS 6.2" manual, bluefirestorm is correct - the main cause of that error is trying to use a letter past the one defined as LASTDRIVE.

PerryShops
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oopsy... I feel like an idiot now!  Of course I don't expect VMware to be responsible for OS issues... In this situation, I made the mistake of thinking this the vm misbehaving... entirely my fault, but thank you gents for pointing out the source of my error.  Very much appreciated.  Adding LASTDRIVE to CONFIG.SYS took care of things!

Regards ~ jp

0 Kudos