VMware Cloud Community
ppgdtap
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FullFormattedMessage changing from "*Create virtual machine snapshot*" to "Task: VirtualMachine.createSnapshot"

One of my scripts stopped working and it turned out the FullFormattedMessage has changed for the snapshot events and I was wondering what could have caused this behavior?

My requirement was to produce a report that includes the user who created the snapshot and so I did, and it worked fine for a few months. To my knowledge we have not done any vCenter upgrades and/or DB work.

I was wondering why the report started coming back blank and it turned out FullFormattedMessage no longer contains the string I am looking for. I am using something like this:

PowerCLI C:\> $snapshots = Get-Snapshot -VM pnlvsprXXXX

PowerCLI C:\> Get-VIEvent -Start ($snapshots.Created).addminutes(-5) -Finish ($snapshots.Created).addminutes(5) -Entity $Snapshots.vm.name -Types info -maxsamples 20 | Where-Object {($_.FullFormattedMessage -like "*Create virtual machine snapshot*")}

PowerCLI C:\>

the above doesn't match anything

If I look at the event itself it now contains something else as FullFormattedMessage: "Task: VirtualMachine.createSnapshot". Also there is a slight discrepancy between the time stamp of the Get-VIEvent 07:59:47 and the time stamp 07:59:48 reported by the next snippet below:

Info                 : VMware.Vim.TaskInfo

Key                  : 14054888

ChainId              : 14054888

CreatedTime          : 16/05/2017 07:59:47

UserName             : XXXX\admin_XXXXX

Datacenter           : VMware.Vim.DatacenterEventArgument

ComputeResource      : VMware.Vim.ComputeResourceEventArgument

Host                 : VMware.Vim.HostEventArgument

Vm                   : VMware.Vim.VmEventArgument

Ds                   :

Net                  :

Dvs                  :

FullFormattedMessage : Task: VirtualMachine.createSnapshot

ChangeTag            :

PowerCLI C:\> Get-Snapshot -VM pnlvsprXXXX | Select VM,Name,@{Label="Size";Expression={"{0:N2} GB" -f ($_.SizeGB)}},Created | Sort-Object Created -descending

VM                  Name                Size                Created

pnlvsprXXXX         CHGXXXXXX-JD       10.61 GB            16/05/2017 07:59:48

To go around this I have amended the clause like this using "-or" but am still perplexed as to why the sudden change

Where-Object {($_.FullFormattedMessage -like "*Create virtual machine snapshot*") -or ($_.FullFormattedMessage -like "*VirtualMachine.createSnapshot*")}

PowerCLI C:\> Get-VIEvent -Start ($snapshots.Created).addminutes(-5) -Finish ($snapshots.Created).addminutes(5) -Entity $Snapshots.vm.name -Types info -maxsamples 20 | Where-Object {($_.FullFormattedMessage -like "*Create virtual machine snapshot*") -or ($_.FullFormattedMessage -like "*VirtualMachine.createSnapshot*")}

Info                 : VMware.Vim.TaskInfo

Key                  : 14054888

ChainId              : 14054888

CreatedTime          : 16/05/2017 07:59:47

UserName             : XXXX\admin_XXXXX

Datacenter           : VMware.Vim.DatacenterEventArgument

ComputeResource      : VMware.Vim.ComputeResourceEventArgument

Host                 : VMware.Vim.HostEventArgument

Vm                   : VMware.Vim.VmEventArgument

Ds                   :

Net                  :

Dvs                  :

FullFormattedMessage : Task: VirtualMachine.createSnapshot

ChangeTag            :

Thanks in advance for sharing you knowledge and experiences around this!

George

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I suspect the difference in the FullFormattedMessage text might be due to the way the snapshot is created.

The original one is when you create a snapshot via the Web Client or a PowerCLI cmdlet.

The 2nd might be when the snapshot is created via a vSphere service (like for example a backup product) or via a PowerCLI cmdlet with the RunAsync switch.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I suspect the difference in the FullFormattedMessage text might be due to the way the snapshot is created.

The original one is when you create a snapshot via the Web Client or a PowerCLI cmdlet.

The 2nd might be when the snapshot is created via a vSphere service (like for example a backup product) or via a PowerCLI cmdlet with the RunAsync switch.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos