VMware Communities
galapogos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could not open virtual machine - Internal error

Hi,

I accidentally deleted my VM folder in the Windows host machine (VMWare Workstation 12). I immediately used recuva to restore what I could, which was almost everything except a few files. However, when I now try to open the VM, I get the error message:

Could not open virtual machine "VM name" (VM path)

Internal error.

Remove "VM name" from the library?

Is there any way to recover the VM?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Post a listing of the files in that VM's folder on the host.

Does the vmx file exist?  If not, post any of the "vmware.log" files in that directory and we can rebuild it.

Do all of the vmdk files exist?  If not, you are going to have some disk failures/data loss.

But start with the directory listing and log file. (Attach to reply here, don't paste).

0 Kudos
galapogos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

The vmx file exists. There are no vmware.log files in the folder.

I don't think all the vmdk files exist, because I was informed by Recuva that not all files were recoverable, and the total folder size is quite a bit less than I remembered it to be (65GB out of 100-115GB)

I've attached the directory listing.

I understand I may not be able to get a proper bootable drive, but I'm hoping I can at least recover some (if not all) data files and copy it to a (really old) backup of the VM I have and rebuild things from there.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Ouch. You have a lot of snapshots on this VM as well.  This isnt going to be easy.  Hopefully @continuum will see this and step in to help.

0 Kudos
galapogos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I actually only have 1 snapshot I think. I'm just happy to recover whatever I can.

0 Kudos
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

You need to start VMware Authorization service in the services.msc console. It will surely help you to open the virtual machine in workstation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Jitu, have you even looked at the OPs directory listing?  He is clearly missing important vmdk files!

0 Kudos