The best I have found was to add a URL redirect in the /usr/lib/vcac/server/webapps/ROOT/index.jsp file on the appliance.
login via ssh root@main_web_vra_appliance
# backup and create alt access for default homepage.
cp index.jsp admin.jsp
chmod 644 admin.jsp
# use a known editor such as vi index.jsp
# add the following line just after <body ..> tag:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL='https://vra.your.org/vcac/org/abc'" />
# save and quit
Now you get redirected from / to vcac/org/abc That way if any of your customers use just the name, they won't get the "VMware vRealize Automation Appliance" home page but will get your default tenant home page.
And if you want to get back to the default home page, use the URL https://vra.your.org/admin.jsp to get to your backed up page.
No restart of services required.
Yes, but if you go to just the root aka https://vra_cname.company.com/, you are going to get the appliance landing page and not the sub tenant URL people are attempting to get to for the selfservice page.
As mentioned by pedjono, here the procedure to use a customized name to vRA:
- Before installing, prepare a certificate that includes the CNAME that you want, as well as vRealize Automation appliance and load balancer names.
- Install vRealize Automation, entering the appliance or load balancer name as usual. During installation, import the customized certificate.
- After installing, in DNS, create a CNAME alias of Common Name, and point it to the appliance or load balancer VIP address.
- Log in to the vRealize Automation appliance administrator interface as root. https://vrealize-automation-appliance-FQDN:5480
- Under vRA > Host Settings, change the Host Name to the CNAME that you chose.
Now, you always have to put the https://vrealize-automation-appliance-FQDN/vcac or https://vrealize-automation-appliance-FQDN/vcac/org/tenantname to go to login page. As far as I know, you should create some rule in your load balance solution, or something like that to redirect all requests to https://vrealize-automation-appliance-FQDN to https://vrealize-automation-appliance-FQDN/vcac or create a customized self-service portal to do that according with the user that will login in the system (I have some customer that did it).
Makes sense. If he is using a distributed environment, he needs to put the VIP in IDP Hostname, and it would be a friendly name.