VMware Communities
dtlabs
Contributor
Contributor

High cpu usage (100%)

Hi, I've a problem with my windows Xp virtual machine.

My pc is a windows 7 - 64 bit, Fujitsu lifebook A Series with intel core i5-6200U quad-core with 8 GB of ram.

I used this virtual machine for a lot of time on vmware workstation player 12.5.5 without any problem.

The virtual machine suddenly became slow, with no apparent reason: one day I just opened vmware and my virtual machine was unusable. Looking at the task manager I saw that the cpu is always at 100% usage.

The windows updates on my pc are disabled.

I set my antivirus (AVG) to ignore the vmware folder and the folder where my virtual machine is located.

The Bios setting for machine virtualization were already OK (in fact I could use the VM previously with no problem)

My vmware configurations are: - 2GB of ram.

- One core with automatic Virtualization engine (I try other virtualization engine without success)

- 40 GB of memory

- All adapters (like cd, usb and network) aren't connected at power on.

I've got an old version of vmware (12.1.1.) and also with that version there is the same problem.

I already tried  to compact the virtual hard drive, but no-success neither with this try.

I don't know what to do, I search in the web and I didn't find any solution.

Thanks for any feedback.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

It has something to do with the virtualisation features of AVG. Look at this thread on how to disable it.

XP VM suddenly slow, Win 7 fine

Since you mentioned XP virtual machine, considering the events of the last 72hours with the malware, better download the SMB patch first (from a machine you know is not vulnerable) and apply it via thumb drive BEFORE connecting the XP to any network.

EDIT: This Microsoft blog link contains the links to the patches for XP and other earlier Windows versions that were officially out of support but patch issued in light of the malware attack.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/05/12/customer-guidance-for-wannacrypt-attacks/

0 Kudos