VMware {code} Community
ChrisSmith2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Double scrollbars on the configure/monitor tabs with 6.5 SDK samples

Using the "chassis-b" sample from the 6.5 SDK ("vsphere-client-sdk-6.5.0-4602587.zip"), the "Configure" and "Monitor" tab extensions have double scrollbars - see attached screenshot. This is easily reproducible by just adding extra content to one of the sample HTML pages (I've attached a suitably-modified sample as well). This effect occurs in the latest versions of both Edge and Chrome.

Using in-browser debugging tools, it appears that the extra outer scrollbar, which only allows scrolling by a few pixels up and down, is on <div vx-view class="vui-tab-content">, and the inner scrollbar is on the <iframe> element. There are three nested <div class="fill-parent"> between the two.

As all of these elements are outside of our plugin, our HTML/style sheets have no control over them, and there seems to be no way for us to fix this behaviour.

Is this a known issue? Is there any fix/workaround both for development and production?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi Chris,

I agree that all this can be confusing, let me try to clarify:

- vSphere 6.5 GA was last November, along with the HTML SDK 6.5 GA (build 4598948)

- The HTML Client 6.5 GA included in that release was still quite limited. 

- It is catching up rapidly in features parity with the Web Client (Flash), and we have been able to publish weekly Fling versions to show that progress.

- The SDK itself cannot be refreshed as often, but we have published a few Flings.

- vSphere 6.5.0b patch was released in April and includes the HTML Client that was a Fling version at the same time.

- vSphere 6.5u1 will be released soon and will include a newer and more complete HTML Client, also available as a Fling.

What matters most is the version of the HTML Client you are using, not so much the SDK you have built your plugin with (as long as it is 6.5 or higher), because that Client is the one providing the platform where the plugin lives, and the ones users will see.

During this period of transition to HTML you should focus on making sure your plugin works well with the latest official vSphere 6.5 Client because it is clear that users won't be limiting themselves to the early Client from 6.5GA.  Of course testing with 6.5GA is useful, but for mostly cosmetic issues like double scrollbars, I would not spend time on it as long as they are fixed in a newer HTML Client.

Hope that makes sense!

--Laurent

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ChrisSmith2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any chance of some feedback on this?

Are we the only ones seeing this behaviour? Can anyone using the 6.5.0 SDK confirm that they do *not* get an extra scrollbar outside of the iframe on the Monitor/Configure tabs when their content is scrollable?

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I don't see your problem (using Chrome on Mac OS) but I also using a fairly recent version of the HTML Client.

Could you download the last html-client-sdk .zip file from our Fling site at vSphere HTML5 Web Client  and see if you can reproduce it?

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I do not see the same issue with the current flight ("html-client-sdk-6.5.0.5300-5097204.zip") - there are other issues, like resources not loading properly, the redesigned homepage/left menu not showing our plugin, etc. Those might be side effects of the way I tested it (simply replacing the existing "html-client-sdk" with the one from the flight, and then dropping my plugin files into the "pickup" directory as before - it seems not to be populated by default any more).

Whilst this was a valid test, I need to be developing against and targetting the current production release versions, not pre-release flights, so I have reverted my development system to the official 6.5.0 SDK.

Will the production release of VSphere Server / VCSA be using the same UI files as the 6.5.0 SDK version (4571253), or have there been updates? If there have been updates, are there corresponding SDK updates that should be used for developing production code? Is this sort of issue something you have/would include in a regular patch? I assume the "flights" are previews of the next major version, and you aren't changing the production customer experience so significantly on a continuous basis...

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FYI, looking at the "About" pages, the server's Flex UI reports the version as "vSphere Web Client Version 6.5.0 Build 4944578". The server's HTML UI and the SDK system's HTML UI both report the version as "vSphere Client version 6.5.0 build 4598948".

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi Chris,

I agree that all this can be confusing, let me try to clarify:

- vSphere 6.5 GA was last November, along with the HTML SDK 6.5 GA (build 4598948)

- The HTML Client 6.5 GA included in that release was still quite limited. 

- It is catching up rapidly in features parity with the Web Client (Flash), and we have been able to publish weekly Fling versions to show that progress.

- The SDK itself cannot be refreshed as often, but we have published a few Flings.

- vSphere 6.5.0b patch was released in April and includes the HTML Client that was a Fling version at the same time.

- vSphere 6.5u1 will be released soon and will include a newer and more complete HTML Client, also available as a Fling.

What matters most is the version of the HTML Client you are using, not so much the SDK you have built your plugin with (as long as it is 6.5 or higher), because that Client is the one providing the platform where the plugin lives, and the ones users will see.

During this period of transition to HTML you should focus on making sure your plugin works well with the latest official vSphere 6.5 Client because it is clear that users won't be limiting themselves to the early Client from 6.5GA.  Of course testing with 6.5GA is useful, but for mostly cosmetic issues like double scrollbars, I would not spend time on it as long as they are fixed in a newer HTML Client.

Hope that makes sense!

--Laurent

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay, in that case we'll ignore it for the time being and continue to develop our plugin, and revisit it against the current production version later.

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We've confirmed this issue does not occur on 6.5.0d production build.

0 Kudos