VMware Cloud Community
slanger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Supermetrics - How to get previous time value data?

My boss has asked me for a report that shows which VMs have changed vCPU, MEM, or DISK allocations each month over the past 6 months.  Since I can't figure an easy way to do this, I was trying to create a supermetric that will give the delta (or difference) between a data point and its previous self.  IE - if the data point changes from 1 vCPU to 4 vCPU, the delta will show 3vCPU for that point in time... if I can get that to work then the idea would be to make those "delta" metrics for CPU, MEM, and DISK and then run reports of that to see what has changed and when.

I'm trying to create the supermetric but cant figure out hos to get the supermetric to let me do math with its prior value... simplified it would look something like this:

(${adaptertype=VMWARE, objecttype=VirtualMachine, attribute=config|hardware|numCpu, depth=1}) - (${adaptertype=VMWARE, objecttype=VirtualMachine, attribute=config|hardware|numCpu, depth=1, TIMEVALUE=-1})

I know TIMEVALUE=-1 wont work, but is there some way to get the answer to METRIC-METRIC_LAST_VALUE?

thanks in advance for any advice!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You cannot Smiley Sad

Not sure I have a solution for you. Will get back to you if I come up the a way.

Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You cannot Smiley Sad

Not sure I have a solution for you. Will get back to you if I come up the a way.

Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk
0 Kudos
slanger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the answer! too bad the capability is not there to create such a supermetric.  Please let me know if you have any ideas!! much appreciated.

0 Kudos
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You could use a custom view with transformations to show something like this.  Using the Min, Max, and Last transformations you can see what each of those were over the specified period of time.  It won't tell you when it changed exactly, but comparing the values will tell you what changed.  You'd have to generate the report each month or at whatever interval you want to compare the values at.

0 Kudos