VMware Communities
dm2896
Contributor
Contributor

Red X on Shared Folders

I have been using workstation for years and suddenly when I boot up any of my VMs (all of them are Windows 7), my shared folders are there but there is a red x and they are not accessible to the OS.  When I click on the share or the red x, everything works fine, even if I hibernate the VM.  It only happens when I boot it.  I was on version 12.1, upgraded it, uninstalled and reinstalled version 12.5.5.  All versions do the same thing.  Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This could be a boot sequence issue in Windows, but as you mention "all my Windows 7 machines have it" the first thing to ask is if you updated VMware Tools on all of your VMs after updating to a newer VMware Workstation.

If you did, can you try on one of them to uninstall VMware Tools, reboot guest OS, then install VMware Tools again and see if that fixes it?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
dm2896
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, but I have the same thing.  The same thing happens on a new installation of the guest also.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We are aware of this issue and are currently working on this. Please uninstall VMware Tools completely in guest and install it again, and see if this can work around your problem.

0 Kudos
dm2896
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that too.  But at least you are aware of it and hopefully it will be fixed in an upcoming release.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

The only solution I have found is to downgrade tools to 10.0.8 https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1008

This is the last version of 10.0 tools that has tools for modern Windows versions, 10.0.12 only has pre-Vista tools.

0 Kudos