VMware Cloud Community
CalmCloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VRO Log Messages

Hi All,

Log messages in  the VRO Client for a workflow run disappear after sometime. Where is the setting to keep them displayed in VRO?

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

There are two types of log messages in vRO - the ones created by Server.log(...) scripting API calls are stored in the database, and the ones created by System.log(...) scripting API calls are stored in log files on the file system. Which types of logs are you interested in?

The amount of logs stored in log files is configured through file /etc/vco/app-server/log4j.xml . Most of the log files (eg. the main one - server.log) are managed by a rolling file appender, which means you can configure the maximum log file size and the number of backup index copies. So when the amount of data output to a given log file exceeds the max file size, a backup copy will be created and the following log data will go a new file, until the max number of copies is reached, and when this happens, the oldest index file will be deleted.

For logs stored in the database, we have a task that periodically purges the expired logs after some time (I think by default expiration time is set to 15 days, and can be controlled via property com.vmware.o11n.log-events-expiration-days).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

There are two types of log messages in vRO - the ones created by Server.log(...) scripting API calls are stored in the database, and the ones created by System.log(...) scripting API calls are stored in log files on the file system. Which types of logs are you interested in?

The amount of logs stored in log files is configured through file /etc/vco/app-server/log4j.xml . Most of the log files (eg. the main one - server.log) are managed by a rolling file appender, which means you can configure the maximum log file size and the number of backup index copies. So when the amount of data output to a given log file exceeds the max file size, a backup copy will be created and the following log data will go a new file, until the max number of copies is reached, and when this happens, the oldest index file will be deleted.

For logs stored in the database, we have a task that periodically purges the expired logs after some time (I think by default expiration time is set to 15 days, and can be controlled via property com.vmware.o11n.log-events-expiration-days).

0 Kudos
CalmCloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi llian thanks for looking into it.

I was looking for System.log() messages that appear in VCO Client. They magically disappear after sometime.

logMessages.png

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I guess the log files got rolled.

Check the folder /var/log/vco/app-server/ on your vRO appliance. Probably there are files named server.log, server.log.1, ..., server.log.4. Check the content of the oldest of these files; the disappeared log messages should be older than the messages in this file.

0 Kudos
CalmCloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks llian

0 Kudos
carl1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Llian,

Aren't those two logging items backwards.  System.log() writes to the token log section which is kept in the database while server.log() sends to the log files on the vRO appliance?

Thanks,

Carl L.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Carl,

No, it works the way described in my first reply. Perhaps the confusion comes from the fact that the main log file where System.log() messages go is called server.log.

BTW, my name is spelled with 'I' (capital 'i'), not 'L' (both look almost the same in most fonts Smiley Happy).

0 Kudos
carl1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ilian Smiley Happy

No wonder if have seen all kinds of cross descriptions of this.  System.log() writes to server.log in the DB and Server.log() writes to /var/log/vco/... on the vRO appliance.  How confusing is that!  And that is assuming I understood you correctly.

Thanks for the clarity.

Carl L.

0 Kudos