VMware Cloud Community
MRALC
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate an Existing Virtual Adapter between vSphere Distributed Switches

We are in the process of Migrating our 5.5 esxi hosts and vCenter 5.5 from 1Gb Nics to 10Gb Nics.

We currently have Two Distributed Switches, one which is has two 1Gb Nics which has a MGT port group which has a virtual adapter for management traffic. The other distributed Switches has two 10Gb Nics in them, with a MGT port group and port group for each vlans. We have already migrated the VM traffic over to the 10Gig. I just need to migrate the virtual adapter for management traffic over to 10Gb Nics.

All the documentation states you can migrate virtual adapters between standard switch and Distributed Switch and vice versus, but do you know if it is supported to migrate virtual adapters between Distributed Switches. I cant seem to find anything to confirm this on the Documentation Center.

In my virtual test lab i have managed to do this, by clicking on the Distributed Switch which you want to migrate the virtual adapters to and got to manage virtual adapters. You can click on add and you can chose a option to migrate a existing virtual adapters. From here you can migrate the virtual adapter. This work in my test lab, but i wonder if anyone has tried this in a live environment on physical hardware and if this is support by VMware?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bayupw
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

It should work as documented in below link,

The documentation says you can follow the procedures if you want to move VMkernel from Standard or Distributed Switches.

Migrate VMkernel Adapters to a vSphere Distributed Switch

Migrate VMkernel adapters to a distributed switch if you want to handle the traffic for VMkernel services by using only this switch and you no longer need the adapters on other standard or distributed switches.

In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to the distributed switch.

From the Actions menu, select Add and Manage Hosts.

In Select task, select Manage host networking and click Next.

In Select hosts, click Attached hosts and select from the hosts that are associated with the distributed switch.

Click Next.

In Select network adapter tasks, select Manage VMkernel adapters and click Next.

In Manage VMkernel network adapters, select the adapter and click Assign port group.

Select a distributed port group and click OK.

Click Next.

Review the impacted services as well as the level of impact.

Option

Description

No impact

iSCSI will continue its normal function after the new networking configuration is applied.

Important impact

The normal function of iSCSI might be disrupted if the new networking configuration is applied.

Critical impact

The normal function of iSCSI will be interrupted if the new networking configuration is applied.

a

If the impact on iSCSI is important or critical, click iSCSI entry and review the reasons that are displayed in the Analysis details pane.

b

After you troubleshoot the impact on iSCSI, proceed with your networking configuration.

Click Next and click Finish.

Bayu Wibowo | VCIX6-DCV/NV
Author of VMware NSX Cookbook http://bit.ly/NSXCookbook
https://github.com/bayupw/PowerNSX-Scripts
https://nz.linkedin.com/in/bayupw | twitter @bayupw
0 Kudos