4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2019 4:44 PM by josephpitkin

Create VM on ESXi 6.5 Web Client from Existing VMDK in Datastore?  Desktop App has, Web doesn't.

richierich1 Lurker

To All,

I would like to use the web tools to create a new vm in ESXi 6.5.0 from an existing vmdk file already in the datastore.  I basically ran the clone on an existing vmdk with the vmkfstools to another directory. 

I can create it through the desktop vSphere client, through the Create a new virtual machine->"Use an Existing Virtual Disk", but the option or ability seems to be missing from the web client?  Am I missing something?  All I have is the vmdk that I would like to use to create the new VM.

The three options from the web for creating/registering VM:

"Create a new virtual machine" -> Does not have the option from an existing vmdk.

"Deploy a virtual machine from an OVF or OVA file"->Does not have the option from an existing vmdk.

"Register an existing virtual machine"->Can't select a VMDK from the data store, needs a vmx file.

I can always use the desktop app, version 6.0, but it is being depracated.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich