VMware Communities
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Workstation 12.5.5 Windows XP - install but don't want updates etc.

I have

- an old cardgame (Bridge) running on Windows XP

- legal version of XP

- and above version of VM WS.

Regretfully the game is not developed any further, but it still is a good game and trainings and so on.

I would like to install XP as VM and (at least try to) play this game from within XP environment.

VM should however not connect to internet trying to get updates whatever.

Obviously antivirus software is missing and is not needed as long as I don't browse/connect to Internet.

Question: what I want, is that possible?

If so, what steps do I have to take, specifically to avoid Internet connection.

Note, I do have Windows 10 also running in VM.

Thanks!

=

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Ofcourse you can.

For the VM to not to be able to connect to the internet, simple remove the virtual network card.

If you want to further isolate the VM then consider to not assign Host Guest shared folders and if you want you can also disable copy&paste and drag&drop.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Ofcourse you can.

For the VM to not to be able to connect to the internet, simple remove the virtual network card.

If you want to further isolate the VM then consider to not assign Host Guest shared folders and if you want you can also disable copy&paste and drag&drop.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Many thanks for the quick reply.

Any tips as to how I should take the very first few steps, so as to remove this card, which probably should be done right from the start.

I can create a new machine "Typical" or "Custom"

Thanks!

=

later... discovered:

Custom-setup, after entering license key, selecting folder,

then a few screens shows up  'Network type' - select 'Do not use a network connection' (at the bottom)

=

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, that's a way to do it, in that case no virtual network card is added to the virtual machine and you can start installing right away.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

bad luck...

Windows XP could not find a harddisk (am using SSD)

Also tried 'custom'-setup

At some point, I get a windows

'Select I/O Controller types

SCSI Controller:
Buslogic (recommended) - I selected that one

LSI Logic

LSI Logic SAS

Virtual disk type":
IDE SCSI SATA

seleted SATA

same issue.

both 'custom' and 'standard' setup.

Also tried customer using a normal HDD

same problem

see; Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation

Probably I may need to create an empty VM first or so?

=

later: need to select the option - Install OS later.

install is now taking place.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Windows XP is old, I would select IDE, although I think it has inbox drivers for SATA.

Just ran through the settings here -for "custom" and "choose install later"- and while you can make a selection on the scsi controller, the virtual disk was actually created on the IDE controller when selecting IDE.

FWIW, there are Windows buslogic drivers but IIRC then you have to install those via an extra floppy install disk (which is a hassle as it complicates the setup).

--

Wil

0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Successfully installed XP. One last issue to solve: as it is nót connected to Internet, obviously, it can not be activated.

Any suggestions how to tackle that one?

Do you remember?

SnagIt-02052017 135621.png

0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Wila. Installed the ethernet card, activated XP, uninstalled the card.

Things are working perfectly now.

Many thanks again!

=