VMware Horizon Community
mrstorey
Contributor
Contributor

Embedded VCSAs in Horizon View Pod / Block designs?

Since it seems you overcome SPOFs in View by deploying multiple venters behind a series of load balanced connection servers, I’m wondering if deploying multiple PSCs behind an F5 and battling with certificates to provide SSO services in a pod is really worth the complexity it brings?

I guess you lose linked mode / single pane of glass stuff, and you’ll have to configure identity sources / ad integration in multiple places…..but is there anything that would cause headaches down the line when growing into a multi-pod environment?  Ie - 3 datacenters, 1 pod in each datacenter, 2 or 3 resource blocks per pod?

Just seems like it *might* be a simpler deployment to use a single embedded VCSA per resource block…..?

Any thoughts?  What are you guys doing out in the field?  Especially those who have deployed or work with large, multi datacenter/pod deployments.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mrstorey
Contributor
Contributor

Ended up deploying PSCs behind and F5 in the end. 

I think I was annoyed with the process after discovering a known bug with the latest 6.5d VCSA ISOs - replacing the root cert with a signed subordinate didn't work properly with that release - was advised by VMware support to rebuild them again using the GA 6.5 VSCA ISO, and upgrading after the cert and HLB work was complete.

All good now.

0 Kudos
touimet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was also considering the same question.  My eventual use of NSX will likely drive it to be a multi-PSC/F5 design so I can use NSX cross-vce

I assume you are planning 2000 desktops per block within your pod.  If so I assume you'd have to setup a Horizon pool of 2000 desktops per block.  One pool = one vCenter.  What baffles me is if all desktops in each block are the same how does one automatically load balance a connecting user to a pool with the least amount of active desktops? 

0 Kudos