VMware Communities
jhilgeman
Contributor
Contributor

How to route all audio from guest to host

I have a Windows 10 host running a Windows 7 guest on VMware Workstation 12 Player. The guest

I'm trying to figure out how I can route all the audio from the guest VM to the host as if it's the VMware player process on the host simply outputting audio like any other program. Note that I have some limitations that prevent me from considering the use of networked connection means such as VNC or RDP. Any idea how I could do this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

AFAIK that is just how it works by default.

What problems are you encountering?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
jhilgeman
Contributor
Contributor

It doesn't seem to work like that on my system. I use a USB headset (Logitech G930) on the host, which works just fine but the host system doesn't seem to see any audio coming from the guest machine, even it's definitely playing. If I tell the guest machine to connect the USB headset to itself (using Removeable Devices, disconnecting it from the host), I am able to hear the audio just fine from the guest, but then I obviously don't hear the audio from the host.

UPDATE:

I found this article:

Sound is not working in Windows virtual machine (1003425) | VMware KB

...which instructed me on some updates to the .vmx file. I made those changes and rebooted and the audio is now working as expected!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

OK, somehow the sound card wasn't configured correctly in the vmx file then.

Thanks for letting us know what fixed and great to hear it now works the way it should be.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos