VMware Cloud Community
STGdb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to enable hot plug on a Windows OS VM running vCenter 6.5 (not VCSA)

OK - I guess I backed myself into a corner that I didn't see coming.  Our vSphere 6.5 cluster has a single vCenter 6.5 VM running on it (to manage the cluster).  It is already upgraded to hardware v13 and everything runs OK - but we're seeing some performance issues recently with the vCenter VM OS.  Because of extension limitations, we haven't moved to VCSA yet (and VMware just added Update Manager to VCSA not long ago - which was another issue), so we're still running vCenter on a Windows OS.  We plan to move to VCSA at some point but we have a few more things to work out.

Anyway, my problem is that I want to increase the CPU / RAM of our vCenter VM to help resolve the performance issues.  Easy enough normally but this is the vCenter server VM in a vSphere 6.5 environment.  In previous versions, we could just shut down vCenter and edit the configuration using the vSphere thick client GUI (but that doesn't work when a VM is hardware v13).  We can't enable hot plug for CPU or RAM because we can't shut the VM down to enable hot plug (if we shut the VM down, then we have no vCenter server to connect to in order to change the hot plug settings on the VM).

So I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to edit the VM configuration file directly (using SSH / WinSCP method) to enable hot plug for RAM / CPU or how to edit the configuration file for increasing the RAM / CPU?  I've searched but can't find anything about increasing RAM or CPU by directly editing the VNX file in the VM folder.  We know how to edit the configuration file and all but what we don't know is what settings need to be changed in order to enable it.  Or are there CLI commands to enable hot plug for VM's?

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

you could enable cpu and memory hot add with the following powershell commands

$VM = Get-VM MyVM
$spec = New-Object VMware.Vim.VirtualMachineConfigSpec
$spec.memoryHotAddEnabled = $true
$spec.cpuHotAddEnabled = $true
$VM.ExtensionData.ReconfigVM_Task($spec)

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

you could enable cpu and memory hot add with the following powershell commands

$VM = Get-VM MyVM
$spec = New-Object VMware.Vim.VirtualMachineConfigSpec
$spec.memoryHotAddEnabled = $true
$spec.cpuHotAddEnabled = $true
$VM.ExtensionData.ReconfigVM_Task($spec)

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
STGdb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked great.  Just had to shut down the VM and bring it back up.

Thanks for your help!!

0 Kudos