VMware Communities
The212Dad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 12.5.5 only 1 VM works on the Bridged Network

I have a Host running Workstation 12.5.5 that has been running and upgrading for years. All of the sudden only one of the VM's on the machine can see out to the gateway (and thus the world) on the bridged network. I have tried removing the bridged network, I have reset the virtual network to default several times. I have tried removing and re-adding the NIC to the VM's, I've tried allowing it to autoselect the NIC and tried forcing it to use the one that's live,  I've have tried multiple VM's both shared and and non-shared. I created a new VM from scratch, I've rebooted the Host machine with bridging turned on and off both, I've tried about everything I can think of. No matter what I do - only 1 of my VMs will work on the bridged network. All of the VM's can all ping the host, and the other guests, but not the gateway or out to the world. They all work fine on the NAT network - but that won't work for me. The most baffling part is that one of my VM's works at a time. I uninstalled then reinstalled WS 12.5.5 from scratch and the first machine I attached to the bridged network worked, but the others can't. One time it was Win 7, the next time it was Win XP. Only reinstalling makes a different vm work, everything else seems to have no affect.      OOps - resetting the network and rebooting did switch which vm worked - now a 4th different VM is working - but all of the others can't connect (Though they think they are connected)

BTW - My switch see them all MAC address and IP address.

Please help!

VMware has THE WORST (by FAR) support and documentation as I'm sure you know, so I'd really appreciate it!

They even make looking for community help insanely aggravating!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
The212Dad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

On my HECK!  It's my switch!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>>VMware has THE WORST (by FAR) support and documentation as I'm sure you know, so I'd really appreciate it!

They even make looking for community help insanely aggravating!

Hardly the way to ask for help Smiley Happy

This is a place for users helping users although VMWare jumps on here frequently.

What is your host?

Post the results of ipconfig/all for the host (ifconfig if it is Linux) and one of the VM's that won't connect.

Screen shot of your network config.

Are you using a router to connect? If so does it have  a limit of connections (some ISP's do).

Lou

The212Dad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

On my HECK!  It's my switch!

0 Kudos