VMware Horizon Community
AHAUGHTONCHOICE
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon View Composer - Deadlock events with SQL Server

Hello Community,

I recently started working at a new company. The company uses Horizon View. My manager informed me that they've had issues for quite some time (Years) with the application. View Composer every month or so crashes and stops working. The service is installed on a Windows 2008r2 server and when it's having trouble will fail to start. To resolve the issue, we have to open up a command prompt and run some commands to clear out the SQL Database. This process allows the view composer services to run, but it normally takes hours (Sometime a full day, 24 hrs) for view to start replicate VMs in our pool. (We use View to create a couple VDI pools).

Since coming into this company, I have updated Horizon view from 5.3 to 7.1.0. The issues are same with more headaches: We haven't had the major monthly outage yet. The added issue is the pools will fail daily during work hours. I've opened multiple tickets with VMware and they have identified that the Database associated with View has deadlocking errors. However, so far, the only recommendation the Techs has made is reinstalling the connection server and composer servers.

We also made the troubleshooting step of moving the SQL DB to another server with the same results. Ultimately, the deadlocking is an issue. Composer is attempting to update the database and something else is using the DB. The only other thing I can think of that may be using the DB is Veeam while backing up the VM the SQL DB sits on. We run Replication tasks during the day.

I know that this deadlocking error was something that was an issue that was supposedly fixed post View 5.1. But it seems to still be a problem. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Aaron

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My Two Cents! Personality, there is nothing better than a clean installation unless you MUST update, updating from Horizon view 5.3 to 7.1.0 it's just like you said "The issues are same with more headaches" however, this is not always the case but it involves a lot of new components to be updated. You should always be consistent in the your VIEW environment, I mean implementing the same new package version including: vSphere, vCenter, VMFS, View Composer, View connection server, Windows servers/client, AD DC, SQL & more etc, etc... As long as your hardware is in the HCL the new installation should be a piece of cake in no time!

VMware Compatibility Guide

LINK: http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php   

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator

http://ITCloudStream.com/

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos