VMware Cloud Community
Romol
Contributor
Contributor

not detecting hard drives (vSphere Hypervisor 6.5 installation)

Hi

I Would Install vSphere Hypervisor 6.5 on a Supermicro Server but i can not found any Harddisk.

Maybe a Driver Probem, but i have not found any Solution that work.. We work with OSX.

Many thanks for your Input!

Regards Romeo

Supermicro MBD-X11SSW-F

Intel XEON E3-1230V5

Adaptec RAID 6805E

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sakkanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Supermicro MBD-X11SSW-F model not listed in HCL of VMware for ESXi 6.5. Always recommended to use the hardware model listed in HCL

0 Kudos
Romol
Contributor
Contributor

I am aware of this. But there will probably be a solution if one wants to assert itself in the market ..;)

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If your server support it, try to get into the BIOS and create a Volume around 50 GBs  to install ESXi then you can either use the rest of the space for local storage or attached SAN/NAS shared storage. ESXi generally requires a GPT-based disk, so if at any point during your changes/reimages, the disk format type was changed to MBR, there's a potential of running into problems. Also, ESXi doesn't play nice with software-based and fake RAID, so make sure those are disabled in the BIOS if that's an option. VMware removed driver support not only for some commodity network cards, but also for lots of SATA controllers that have never been on Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator

http://ITCloudStream.com/

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos