VMware Cloud Community
ez12a323
Contributor
Contributor

Combining metrics from separate reservations for capacity reporting

Hey all,

I need some guidance on how I would be able to combine metrics from different vRA reservations assigned to a particular business group to report on capacity usage, and I'll need to be able to replicate these metrics hopefully easily without too much manual work for several other business groups. I'm not too familiar with super metrics and would appreciate any advice on how to approach (other than manually creating a lot of super metrics for each business group).

We have two vBlocks.

background:

1. Each business group in vRA has 4 reservations with 2 on each vBlock.
    1. 2 of the reservations are "protected", one on each vBlock. These are barely used but are reserved for special VMs.
    2. 2 of the reservations are "normal", one on each vBlock. By default all VMs go in these.
  2. We want to report on the following:
    1. Allocated, Reserved, and Remaining (%) of Memory in Normal reservations per business group.
    2. Allocated, Reserved, and Remaining (%) of Storage in Protected reservations per business group.

Currently, the vRA Management pack's Business Group object type returns metrics for all of the reservations for the business group. This poses a problem when we build a dashboard around these metrics to display remaining usable capacity. If all of the normal reservation is consumed, the dashboard will still display that there is free space available due to the protected reservations. This causes confusion as the users will see that they have free space but are unable to deploy additional VMs into the normal reservation. We'd like to separate the normal and protected reservation metrics on a per business group basis.

Is there a way to create a supermetric template of sorts that can be applied to each business group efficiently? Or would I have to create individual metrics for both normal and protected reservations?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies