VMware Communities
aglassoneml
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation nesting under Hyper-V

Hi Team

I am trying to get VMWare Workstation Player working under Hyper-V. I am getting the error "VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Workstation."

Before you say it. The Hyper-V role is not installed, this system is a guest OS of a hyper-v host.

Yes this error is because it detects the underlying hyper-v host and the error is because it thinks the underlying host does not support nesting. This is no longer correct* under Hyper-V 2016.

If it is now exposing the right functions of the processor to the guest, once you run the powershell command to allow nesting in the guest, than surely this should work fine?

* Yes the microsoft article says third party virtualization tech not support but they should work if enabled to work and not just "detect Hyper-V and error".

I am trying to get GNS3 working with VM support.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Have a look through this Running Nested VMs​ to see if it helps.

0 Kudos
aglassoneml
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link, I haven't seen that before. It seems as though it may not have up to date or relevant information regarding Hyper-V related nesting as it reports it can only provide 32bit support. That would be expected historically as Hyper-V until 2016 did not provide access to the CPU virtualisation functions. From my understanding, it now does, so 64bit proper nested pass through should now work.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It seems as though it may not have up to date or relevant information regarding Hyper-V

Yeah, that might be the case as the author of that article no longer works at VMware, can't blame him for not keeping it up-to-date.

This might help too (although it is for installing vSphere under Hyper-V, so you'll have to adapt for that)

Install a VMWare ESXi 6.0 Hypervisor in a Hyper-V VM | PowerShell, Programming and DevOps

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
aglassoneml
Contributor
Contributor

I'll see if there is anything in that to get it working. Cheers.

0 Kudos