VMware Cloud Community
vspheresecuri
Contributor
Contributor

Setup vCenter v6.5 VCHA with different subnet get PNID error

Hi guy,

I try to setup vCenter v6.5 appliance with different subnet (both with vCenter IP and HA heartbeat IP), following table show.

Active

Passive

Witness

10.57.21.101 nic0

10.57.22.121 nic1

10.57.22.101 nic0

10.57.23.122 nic1

10.57.23.123 nic0

Then during I configure VCHA with advanced mode, it get following error.

The management interface (NIC0) IP address does not map to the vCenter Server PNID

Screenshot - 4_7_2017 , 2_07_10 PM.jpg

Can help for this?

Regards

Thanks...KEN

0 Kudos
12 Replies
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

During the initial configuration of the VMware vCenter Server, the system name (FQDN or IP address) is used as the PNID. This issue occurs when Primary Network Identifier (PNID) of vCenter Server or PSC is changed after deployment. Did you changed the IP of the VMWare vCenter server ?

0 Kudos
vspheresecuri
Contributor
Contributor

hi Guy,

No, but due to active and passive vCenter IP address is different IP, so I add two IP that point to the same vCenter FQDN as well as two entries on PTR zone.

Regards

Thanks...KEN

0 Kudos
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does the appliance resolving both IP and name corectly ?

0 Kudos
vspheresecuri
Contributor
Contributor

hi Guy,

Yes, I do nslookup in vCenter.

Screenshot - 4_7_2017 , 3_15_43 PM.jpg

Regards

Thanks...KEN

0 Kudos
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
vspheresecuri
Contributor
Contributor

hi Guy,

Yes, I am refer this article to setup VCHA, I am stuck on step 7, and 8 below.

7. Enter the HA network IP and Subnet mask for the Witness node.

8. Click Next.

This article without screen shot, it is hard to follow.

Regards

Thanks...KEN

0 Kudos
jrojas1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi vspheresecuri,

Just wondering if you had any luck getting cross DC/Subnet VCHA setup?

I am trying to setup the exact same topology, and facing the same issue. And not getting very far 😕

0 Kudos
AhmadMDS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello!

I am wondering if your resolved this issue because I have the same and I am stuck

thank you in advance

0 Kudos
mifrasmm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

guys anyone have solution for this... im stuck on same place

0 Kudos
jrojas1
Contributor
Contributor

We ended up abandoning the VCHA setup due to these errors, and lack of support/resolution from VMware Support. Ended up getting another vCenter license approved and setting up another instance in linked mode. Its a more expensive option, but has been working flawlessly since initial setup.

0 Kudos
kn0w
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same error and for me it was only adding another "A" record in DNS for the vCenter server that was the Passive node's IP. But the original poster had said that they already did that. The only other thing I had done was clone the vCenter out to the "Passive" node and "Witness" before hitting next.

VCHA Configuration & Deployment Issue –vCenter High Availability

0 Kudos
kn0w
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still in testing but I tried the linked mode first and while it gave me another vCenter server that I could connect to that enabled me to manage the VM's once the primary vCenter was offline I could not use the newly added linked vCenter. But maybe I did not set it up correctly???

0 Kudos