VMware Cloud Community
siddjayy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I project vSAN as a datastore to ESXI 6.0 host

Hello folks,

This is Siddhesh and I am quite new to vSAN, i.e. still in learning phase and I think this a really good technology. So jumping to main point of discussion

Here's my scenario

Name of Virtual Data center- VDC1 , hosts- A, B, C, D ( all belong to VDC1)

So now, host A, host B and host C are part of a cluster(CL1) and form the VSAN.

But, host D is NOT included in CL1 but is a part of VDC1. So, how do I attach/connect this VSAN to host D so that if I want to install a VM on host D, I should be able to see this VSAN as a datastore.

Any insights/guidance/advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Siddhesh

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So you pretty much want to have Host D use vsanDatastore without contributing to it, correct?

In order for host D to see the vsanDatastore, it will need to be part of the vSAN cluster; however, host D does not necessarily need to contribute storage to the cluster.

Although supported, we recommend that all host in the cluster are as close as possible as far as the configuration goes. In this case, having a 4 node vSAN cluster contributing to storage will be better for a redundancy perspective and be able to rebuild objects in case you lose a host, maintenance, etc.

It is not supported to present storage to other host via iSCSI target, just FYI.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So you pretty much want to have Host D use vsanDatastore without contributing to it, correct?

In order for host D to see the vsanDatastore, it will need to be part of the vSAN cluster; however, host D does not necessarily need to contribute storage to the cluster.

Although supported, we recommend that all host in the cluster are as close as possible as far as the configuration goes. In this case, having a 4 node vSAN cluster contributing to storage will be better for a redundancy perspective and be able to rebuild objects in case you lose a host, maintenance, etc.

It is not supported to present storage to other host via iSCSI target, just FYI.

siddjayy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

GreatWhiteTec​ Yes, Indeed. I want to have the host D to use vSANDatastore without contributing to the storage. I will surely follow your advice and keep you updated.

Thanks you very much for your valuable advice.

Regards,

Siddhesh

0 Kudos