VMware Cloud Community
DrewtheShew
Contributor
Contributor

Deploy OVF created in 6.5 to 6.0

Hello - hope I'm in the right forum:

I'm good with VMware (been using since 5.0) and have recently upgraded to 6.5. I've recently  re-built all of my vm's on the newest esxi version (6.5) in my lab. It took weeks to curate security parameters (running LAMP, ELK, and more on CentOS7) and get everything fine tuned.

Turns out my new VPS host is using ESXi 6.0 and when I deploy the ovf template to the VPS host, vsphere client fails (vpx.exe error, etc.)

I've tested building new vm's on the host; exporting them and re-deploying the exported ovf successfully, so I know the VPS host is not the issue as I'm able to deploy ovf's back to the host that were created on the host.

How do I successfully deploy these machines to my VPS host? I've spent a lot of time building them. I've tried attaching the vhd to a new built vm on the host with no success. (I also have a side issue of not being able to add items to inventory but am not looking to address that now).

Please help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try this,

VMware vSphere 6.5 Release Notes

OVF templates exported in vSphere 6.5 that contain 
 cannot be deployed in vSphere 5.5 or vSphere 6.0
If an OVF template that contains 
 in the OVF descriptor is exported from the vSphere Web Client 6.5, it cannot be deployed from vSphere Web Client 5.5 or vSphere Web Client 6.0. The following is an example of an OVF element in the OVF descriptor:

<Annotation>---&#xd;This is a sample annotation for this OVF template ---</Annotation>

Workaround: Remove &#xd; from the OVF descriptor:

1. Remove all the instances of &#xd; from the OVF descriptor.
  2. If the OVA or OVA template has a manifest file, recalculate the checksum based on the updated OVF descriptor and update the manifest file. If a certificate file exists, update the certificat file to replace the checksum for the updated manifest file.
0 Kudos