VMware Cloud Community
asgarad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Screen of console is not fully displayed

Hi

The display of my console is not fully shown, it is similar when i open a console window separately. I have been having this issue since long time now & it is creating a lot of problems. Would require help asap.

Thanks

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What is the native screen resolution of your Windows 10 laptop?

What is the scaling factor? Is it 100%? 150%? 200%? Set it to 100% if it isn't. I don't think Windows 7 scaling was automatically set with high resolution screens. Not so sure with Windows 8 but definitely Windows 10 automatically scales when screen resolution is set higher than full HD (1920x1080).

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

20 Replies
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Which version of ESXi are you using ?. Does the VMWare tools installed on the VM ?. Also change the video properties on Edit settings --> Video card and verify.

0 Kudos
asgarad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.0.0

From where should i check whether the VMWare tools are installed or not?

Video card properties are Auto. Can you please tell me the recommended value?

0 Kudos
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

On the webclient, click the respective VM, on left side under General Information you can see VMWare Tools installed / Not installed.

If it says not installed. Right click VM --> Guest OS --> Install VMWare Tools.

0 Kudos
asgarad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

webclient?

I have 12 VM's running. 1 is a WIindows 7 OS. Do i need to install in every VM's.

0 Kudos
asgarad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I installed the tools in windows 7 OS VM, but still the same issue. When i change the video card settings it again switches back automatically once the machine is powered on. I am facing the console issue in every VM which is installed. What should i do to eradicate the issue. I reinstalled VMware as well but in vain.

0 Kudos
asgarad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pleas find the attached files for clearer understanding of issue.

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you trying RDP what is out put.

Did change view setting in edit tab as full screen.

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
asgarad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah even after it is full screen I am getting the same error size.

0 Kudos
Eric_Allione
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After selecting to install VMware tools with a right click over the VM, if prompted, choose the interactive installation. To finish the process you go into the VM itself, go to Computer, and then left-click where the CD is mounted.

Autorun is most likely disabled by group policy, which is why you need that interactive installation. The right-click details are slightly different in look and feel, but it does not ultimately matter whether you are using the web option because you can install VMware tools either way. Just make sure to console in and do the install with next > next > next just like installing any other software from a CD-ROM.

VMware tools will fix up your graphics, prevent your mouse from disappearing or showing double, and will eliminate latency on many levels. To otherwise confirm that it is working, hovering over the VM and looking at its settings will tell you if you have VMware Tools (Current). VMware Workstation and Fusion have a way of setting up VMware Tool automatically, but for some reason in vCenter, which is the superior product, it seems to require more manual effort for this.

0 Kudos
asgarad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am getting this error in Vmware ESXi 6.0.0.

I am still getting the same error & the Vmware tools option is greyed out now.error.png

0 Kudos
asgarad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also, there is the below issue as well & mouse pointers are not properly detecting & selecting the icons. Need to click elsewhere to get the icon selected. Highly appreciate if we able to resolve these issues.

pastedImage_0.png

asgarad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Team,

I am using windows 10. Is that an issue related to it? coz its working for my colleague in windows 8 & 7.

0 Kudos
Eric_Allione
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Each newer version of Windows is more resource intensive, but if your colleagues are using different hardware and different networks than comparisons will mean very little.

If you look at Device Manager how are the drivers looking? No yellow exclamation points?

Also, are you running Windows 7/8/10 in vCenter or directly through ESXi rather than in Horizon View? Those desktop versions are supported but are less efficient with resources and I/O. Still that is a strange error that hints at a problem with the graphics driver or a host under excessive resource contention.

0 Kudos
asgarad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have windows 10 installed in my laptop & ESXi is running on it with this issue. I hav e Windows 7 as a VM in ESXi. Re-installed the drivers for my laptop but still same issue. Tried to login ESXi with my colleague's laptop which was running windows 8 & it worked fine. Similarly with another colleague running windows 7, it worked well. Vsphere 6.0.0 ESXi is compatible with Windows 10?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What is the native screen resolution of your Windows 10 laptop?

What is the scaling factor? Is it 100%? 150%? 200%? Set it to 100% if it isn't. I don't think Windows 7 scaling was automatically set with high resolution screens. Not so sure with Windows 8 but definitely Windows 10 automatically scales when screen resolution is set higher than full HD (1920x1080).

pastedImage_0.png

Eric_Allione
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Definitely check what Bluefirestorm just said.

I did run into that along the way and it solved major issues. That scaling feature is death of a thousand cuts for VMs.

This Technet article essentially admits that at the moment these problems with the scaling settings are a flaw in Windows 10 but that it's there because some applications depend ok it: Display Scaling changes for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update | Ask the Core Team

I personally ran into the scaling issues because my MacBook Pro has a Retina display, which is 2560x1600. This did not ruin my visual experience like it did with you, but it introduced massive latency with simple things like Microsoft Word. Now scaling is at 100% everything looks great and the latency is gone.

0 Kudos
asgarad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Holy Moly!!! A small tweek can do wonders.

Thanks a lot Bluefirestorm & Eric. The native display is 1920x1080  & scaling was set to 125%. Changed it to 100% & it resolved the issue finally. Thanks a lot guys. Cheers!!!.

ekarh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Chang high DPI setting on compatibilitties :

1. Right click on shortcut VMware vSphere Client > Properties    

2. Klik on tab "Compatibility"

3. Click on button "Chane high DPI settings"

4. On high DPI Scaling Override > chack list on "Override high DPI scaling behavior";

on "Scaling performed by; on dropdown menu select "System"

5. klik button "OK" and then "OK" again

i hove cant solve your problem, thanks

abacustaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to resolve this by modifying the video card settings.

In vCenter, increase the total Video memory.

1. Select your desired VM

2. Right click and choose "Edit settings".

3. Under Video card select "Video Memory Calculator"

4. Adjust the resolution for until resolved